What are the down falls of not getting my male dog fixed?

My wife and I are in debate about getting our male dog fixed. She wants to do it because she heard that its healthier for the dog. I say it doesn't make a difference. Our dog is half lab half dalmation and is 3 years old.

My wife and I are in debate about getting our male dog fixed. She wants to do it because she heard that its healthier for the dog. I say it doesn't make a difference. Our dog is half lab half dalmation and is 3 years old....
    Dogs Training Discussions : What are the down falls of not getting my male dog fixed?...

• What are the down falls of not getting my male dog fixed?

What are the down falls of not getting my male dog fixed? Dogs Training Discussions
      My wife and I are in debate about getting our male dog fixed. She wants to do it because she heard that its healthier for the dog. I say it doesn't make a difference. Our dog is half lab half dalmation and is 3 years old.

What are the down falls of not getting my male dog fixed? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Well since you don't care about his health why do you even have him? He will mark his territory,be more agressive,hump everything. Oh yeah and puppies cant forget those little things running around.

• Try testicular cancer, which is very common. Also it will help reduce dominance, scent marking, and s all around healthier. Only leave a dog intact if he is pure-bred breeding stock.

• Neutering – The Positive Side#1 Neutering removes the risk of pregnancy.Pet overpopulation is a serious issue and by allowing your dog to breed, you are adding to the problem. Although you may not own the female dog, and you are not burdened with finding homes for those new puppies, someone else is. Even if you accept your responsibility and choose to keep the puppies, you now have the additional cost of vaccines, parasite control, toys and food for several pets.#2 Neutering makes for a calmer dog.Another positive aspect of neutering your dog is that neutering can result in a calmer, and sometimes cleaner, home. Without the drive to mate, your dog may be quieter and not prone to an incessant need to seek out a mate. The neutered dog no longer feels the need to seek out and serenade females. He no longer has the stress of needing to mark his territory and urinate throughout the house and yard. Neutered pets are also easier to get along with. They tend to more gentle and affectionate. Neutered males tend to roam less and typically are not involved in as many fights with other animals.#3 Neutering keeps your dog healthier.A final positive aspect of neutering your dog is that neutered pets tend to have fewer health problems. Neutering is the removal of the testicles. Without these organs, testicular cancer is no longer a concern and the risk of prostate problems is reduced. For those people who would like to sterilize their dog but do not wish to alter his appearance, testicular implants are available.

• http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1638&aid=481Your dog will not develop testicular cancer if you neuter him.Your dog will not be running off trying to breed with every female in heat in the neighbor hood.If you don't think it makes a difference getting him neutered or not, then MAKE a difference and eliminate any chance of him adding to our pet overpopulation.

• Less chance of him running off, less chance of him marking up your house as "his territory", eliminate the risk of testicular and prostate cancers. The myths that it will effect his personality, make him fat, make him lazy are all myths...I have 3 neutered males and they are all very active, and very out going and affectionate.

• Most dogs in Europe are not castrated. If you can live with your dog and you are a responsible dog owner then there is no reason to castrate a healthy dog. Keep in mind that as the dog becomes older, he can become prone to testicular cancer and prostatitis. There are some findings that early castration in puppies can cause cancer and bone deformities however in a 3 year old dog it is a moot point as your dog is now an adult.

• Other than the obvious possibilities of running off, getting hit by a car, contributing to overpopulation problems etc. It is absolutely healthier for your dog to be neutered, especially being a large breed dog. Intact male dogs are much more prone to developing issues such as prostate enlargement (which is painful and impedes their ability to defecate among other things) and predisposes them to cancer such as prostate cancer. Also, it is better to do it earlier rather than continue to put it off. Animals bounce back much faster from surgery at a younger age and anesthesia is safer in younger pets as opposed to aging or geriatric pets.

• He is less prone to testicular cancer, he won't mark as much, he loses some of that male aggression. Dogs who are neutered have the potential to live longer as well. Also, unless he is breeding, he really doesn't need his "friends!"

• its healthierhe'll um....well he'll kinda hump things... which leads to awkward situation with guests...he'll spray all over things he'll get into fights over lady dogs he'll get into random fights with you and your familyHe wont be happy

• For One- HAving to look at them SWING back anf forth when he walks!!!!!!! LMAO For me anyway lol.Your wife is RIGHT- Cut them OFF OFF WITH HIS NUTS!!!!!!!!ps have your wife read this - I BET she will tell you - SEE I TOLD YOU!!! lmaoGood Luck!

• 1) You have the joy of knowing your dog is not out there making mutts2) Your dog will not get testicular cancer, and will have a 50% less chance of other related cancers.3) Your dog will not live in chronic sexual frustration, and will not hump.4) He will be less likely to urinate in the wrong places5) He will be less hyper, less likely to escape his fence, less likely to get lost.6) He will be less prone to agression, and less prone to bite humans or fight with other dogs.Here is a website with more info:http://dogs.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Dog_Neutering_and_Spaying

• First off you should always make sure any male dogs you by have both their testies descended by 10 months old if not they are more likely to develop testicular cancer at a later stage if this happens surgery is more expensive. The upside is no more marking the house, roaming to find females on heat and an added bonus cheaper registration fees. hope this helps .