would bringing a puppy into the house make our older dog a little more active and ad some years onto her life?

would a puppy make our dog a little less lazy and maybe add some more time to our older dogs life?my dogs currently 8 years old and we take her on walks almost eveyr night its just when were home she sleeps a lot and just lays down

would bringing a puppy into the house make our older dog a little more active and ad some years onto her life?

would a puppy make our dog a little less lazy and maybe add some more time to our older dogs life?my dogs currently 8 years old and we take her on walks almost eveyr night its just when were home she sleeps a lot and just lays down...
    Dogs Training Discussions : would bringing a puppy into the house make our older dog a little more active and ad some years onto her life?...

• would bringing a puppy into the house make our older dog a little more active and ad some years onto her life?

would bringing a puppy into the house make our older dog a little more active and ad some years onto her life? Dogs Training Discussions
      would a puppy make our dog a little less lazy and maybe add some more time to our older dogs life?my dogs currently 8 years old and we take her on walks almost eveyr night its just when were home she sleeps a lot and just lays down

would bringing a puppy into the house make our older dog a little more active and ad some years onto her life? Dogs Training Discussions
    • all i have ever seen from my older dog is disgust from a younger dog that won't leave it alone. try thinking like a dog. or better put, dogs don't think like people. like, ah what a pretty puppy.

• Oh yes, it definitely would :) My parents did this actually and it was an awesome idea. They had a dog that was 10 years old and wasn't very active because of his age and because he was alone most of the time (well, he had my parents but there were no other dogs). They decided to buy a small puppy (a mixed chihuahua) and at first their dog was a bit jealous but he soon learned he was a new member of the family and began to like him. They played together a lot and the little one loved messing around with the older dog. It was the best thing they could of done because one needed a family and the other needed a friend. Getting a puppy would add years to your dog and would brighten his/her life, I can assure you of that. :) It's a really good idea. Hope this helps!

• Yes, I suppose if COULD be a good idea depending on your dog and all the research you have done or will do, and the fact that you'll let your older dog MEET the puppy. But then you'll just have to keep the cycle going on and on. Ex. Once your older dog dies and your puppy gets lonely, you'll have to buy another puppy to get your dog back on track. And then once that dog dies, you'll have to get another dog for the puppy, and it'll just go on and on. But if you are willing to put in that effort, yes, it is a good choice.

• There are so many factors to consider before bringing a younger dog into your house.How old is your present dog? If she is elderly, or infirm (arthritic, etc) then a puppy would be very difficult for her. Perhaps a 2 or 3 year old (well behaved) dog would give her some company and lift her spirits, but you would have to see her interacting with the younger dog before committing to it.If your dog is not that old, but has become a couch potato, I would suggest trying to play with her more and take her on more walks, watch her diet..and see if you can't get her more interested in being active before bringing a younger dog home so she can keep up with it when it arrives. I would make sure you have plenty of opportunities to watch her interact with puppies and dogs one or 2 or 3 years old and see which she responds to best before making the decision.

• No, it will stress her out. Puppies are a ton of energy and need a ton of time and a ton of training. Puppies have sharp baby teeth and they tend to stress out older dogs. It is also hard on the puppy when the older dog dies. If you got another dog, your other dog would sleep all day too. My dogs sleep when no one is at home.