Why does my dog get so overwhelmed and slightly confused when I hug her?

I hug her, then she looks a bit overwhelmed, slightly confused. Mainly overwhelmed. She's a very quiet and lazy dog.

I hug her, then she looks a bit overwhelmed, slightly confused. Mainly overwhelmed. She's a very quiet and lazy dog....
    Dogs Training Discussions : Why does my dog get so overwhelmed and slightly confused when I hug her?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why does my dog get so overwhelmed and slightly confused when I hug her?

Why does my dog get so overwhelmed and slightly confused when I hug her? Dogs Training Discussions
      I hug her, then she looks a bit overwhelmed, slightly confused. Mainly overwhelmed. She's a very quiet and lazy dog.

Why does my dog get so overwhelmed and slightly confused when I hug her? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Was she a rescued or re-homed dog ? If so, so much affection would be something very unusual for her, or she might associate it with pain from a previous home. If she hasnt been re-homed Im not too sure, but just dont force it on her and take it slowly, she will get used to it :)

• Hugging isn't something a dog understands and although some will accept/indulge their owners, others actively hate this. If your dog doesn't seem to like this, don't do it.

• Your dog might simply not like hugs.Hugging is a very primate thing to do. People, apes, and monkeys love it. Dogs don't. They have to be conditioned to like hugging, and even when they are, they may still find it distasteful. Some may see it as a power display from the hugger-- so the dog needs to work out why you're asserting yourself. If that comes out of the blue, confusion seems a natural reaction.We all want to hug our dogs, but sometimes an affectionate gesture more suited to their tastes is more appropriate. Try a chin scritch or an ear massage.