How much responsibility does it take to own a dog?

I am considering getting a dog in the future. I want to know how much time I would have to devote to taking care of a dog.

I am considering getting a dog in the future. I want to know how much time I would have to devote to taking care of a dog....
    Dogs Training Discussions : How much responsibility does it take to own a dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How much responsibility does it take to own a dog?

How much responsibility does it take to own a dog? Dogs Training Discussions
      I am considering getting a dog in the future. I want to know how much time I would have to devote to taking care of a dog.

How much responsibility does it take to own a dog? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Lots! Especially if you are thinking about having a puppy. Once you have a dog, your life-style is going to change. You'll have to 'get home for the dog', build your holidays around having a dog, choose where you go (not all place will accept dogs), maybe even change your car as we did soon after we bought our first hound. Before we were footloose and all that, with an MG Midget. Well that all ended.It's a lot like having kids really, except dogs never 'grow up and leave home'.Oh and that's not forgetting the vet bills you WILL have from time to time and the whole other wardrobe you'll need so you don't go out to posh places covered in dog hair LOL

• This depends a great deal on the dog you choose and how old it is.Any dog will take between 2-3 hours a day and all day to take care of, so choose your dog carefully.Any active or working breed like a husky or a herding dog will need a great deal of time and attention and exersize. Super hyper breeds like Jack Russells, who have no "off" switch whatsoever also require a great deal of time.Lap dogs or more sedentary breeds will require attention, but not so much physical exersize and time out of doors.I suggest thinking carefully about what you want from your relationship with a dog, then research breeds. I also suggest getting a dog from a rescue rather than a breeder for many obvious and not so obvious reasons. Also, consider carefully how old of a dog you want to bring into your life. Adult dogs are often already trained, you can see their size and temperment and they are not as much work as puppies. I've gotten most of my dogs as young adults, a few as older adults and have my first puppy right now. I now understand why new parents are so TIRED all the time, as puppies require constant attention.Dogs require DAILY work to feed and clean up after, you have to constantly be aware of where they are, if they are comfortable, have access to water, food and toilet facilities. They cannot be left for even a day without attention, so consider carefully if your lifestyle of the next 15 years can accomodate a dog.

• Well, there's love food & water but a dog is A BIGGER responsibility than thatThey need exercise, discipline & affection. The major part is the dog training & dog psychology. You are in charge of its life & quality of life especially since bc of humans dogs can't have a normal life. So they NEED STRICT ROUTINE in exercise & food where its 1-2 walks a day for 30mins-1hr EVERDAY at the SAME time of day otherwise it can lead to behavioral issues. Dog psychology MATTERS ALOT. because of our lifestyle dogs who live with us may pick up weird quirks that intensify overtime and may cause harm to itself or other humans. Like dogs that chase laser pointers always stare at the ground at first its cute but then they start chasing their shadow bark all the time at it which disturbs the neighbors & overexhausts itself to the point where it gets unhealthy from its weird developed neurosis. So dog training & dog psychology is the main part of the responsibility.Other that you reacting to every situation within 5 secs of the dog's actions & dealing with its actions properly, then following through on consequences without getting lazy or letting anything slide.There's also finances such as pet insurance, vet fees, spaying, neutering, supplies & food. If your dog bites somebody can you afford the hospital fees. Dog trainer if you can't handle its behavior issues. K9dergarden, doggy day care if you can have anybody watch it when you're going away for the weekend or vacation.Dogs take ALOT of information, HUMAN training to do the dog training, focuz, energy , fast reflexes and take up alot of time in your life because its a BIG responsibility to take care of anybody human or not.

• No matter what pet you choose there is responsibility involved. When my pekingese died four years ago I took a long time to decide on getting another dog (three and a half years) and when I did decide to get another one I did lots of research on which breed would be right for me. I knew I didn't want another long haired breed because of shedding and grooming, so you need to think about that, as well as the fact that heartworm prevention, vaccinations, food and even leashes and beds cost more the larger the dog. When I did settle on a breed I researched and talked to vets and owners in person and on the net about it. Everyone is different, but for me I only want the best for my pets, I did months of research on the best type of food and the exercise needs of the Boxer breed. Its alot of work but I can't imagine being without either one of them. Look up one of those websites that lets you take a test to see which breed is right for you.

• It is a pretty big responsibility. I have three dogs. One is a herder, another is a bully breed, and the other is just a mutt. They all Require certain things. They each need attention, they need fed twice daily, they need to play with their toys, and many other things.