Is it possible to teach an older adopted dog to play ?

I have adopted a 6 year old Akita mix that grew up with 2 elderly women. She is an abosolute love, but tends to be lazy and doesn't have too much energy. She's getting used to going on walks, but I was wondering if she can be taught to play fetch ?

I have adopted a 6 year old Akita mix that grew up with 2 elderly women. She is an abosolute love, but tends to be lazy and doesn't have too much energy. She's getting used to going on walks, but I was wondering if she can be taught to play fetch ?...
    Dogs Training Discussions : Is it possible to teach an older adopted dog to play ?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is it possible to teach an older adopted dog to play ?

Is it possible to teach an older adopted dog to play ? Dogs Training Discussions
      I have adopted a 6 year old Akita mix that grew up with 2 elderly women. She is an abosolute love, but tends to be lazy and doesn't have too much energy. She's getting used to going on walks, but I was wondering if she can be taught to play fetch ?

Is it possible to teach an older adopted dog to play ? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Yes. That saying, can't teach an old dog new tricks, is a lie. Any dog, any age can learn with enough patience and training. I taught my dogs to play fetch in the house (because they can not be off a leash in public.) I started with the command drop...when ever they brought a toy to me. Then I would praise and toss the toy. They start to associate dropping the toy with getting it thrown (which they see as a reward.)And good for you on adopting an older dog....congrats on your new companion!

• if she is interested in toys and interactive play, perhaps. some dogs are not too interested in toys especially if they didn't have them when they were younger. but i'm not sure how much akitas like fetch anyway. if she's not interested in fetch, find another game she might like - hide and seek, catch me if you can, etc. good luck.

• I have a dog who is 11 1/2 years old. Anytime I try to play fetch, she would chase the ball 2 times and decided the game was over. She may prefer to play on the floor with you or just be petted. Walks are good. As long as she gets some exercise, she will be fine.

• yes take her on walks and buy her those treat in side toys.you can throw them after you let her chew them and sometimes if you buy her more squeky toys they will pay more atention to there sound.

• Older dogs can be taught to do anything, but keep in mind that not all dogs are interested in fetching. If she isn't getting it, it's not because she isn't capable, but because she isn't interested.

• Akita's are large dogs to begin with and if she grew up with elderly people there is a chance she may be overweight. I would have her weight checked and watch this weeks episode of "Mith-Busters" on TV they just proved the point that you CAN teach an old dog new tricks. good luck.

• I can't remember where I read this but it seemed like a good idea at the time. I didnt need to use this method because my dog is already fetch crazy!Take a tennis ball and cut a slit in it large enough for it to open when you squeeze it. Put one of her favorite treats inside. Toss it starting with short distances and let her see you put the treat inside first. When & if she goes and gets it, praise her like crazy and take the treat out of the ball and give it to her.

• You're looking to up his prey drive. It can be done, especially in an Akita or Akita mix. Get very enthusiastic about the toys you are playing with, and try throwing balls between family members. This will get the dog excited to no end.Disc dog trainers use this method to encourage their dog to chase a disc.

• Yes, you can teach an old dog new tricks, turn it into a game with food rewards and slowly remove the food rewards as the dog learns and before you know it, she will be fetching and much more.. Remember to be patient, these things can take time.. Good luck

• You can teach her. Remember that if she's not used to play, that you may need to take advantage of her food drive to help convince her that toys are good.How about an old sock with liverwurst in it? Or even a paper bag, with you holding on to the open end? The minute that she investigates (and hopefully grabs) the bag or the sock, she'll be rewarded. If she's feeling shy or hesitant, attach a long string to the bag or sock. That way, you being close to the yummy fun thing won't be intimidating to her.Remember too that dogs will enjoy chasing something rather than having it shaken in their face. You can pretend to play with the bag or sock first ("I got a.....YUMMY THING!!!" and then run away from her, goofily) to get her interested, and then run around some more, dragging the toy you've made on it's string.Your dog will tell you if this is too much. Tone it down if she seems nervous. Increase her level of motivation by playing this game before she eats, and use a super stinky valuable treat to catch her interest.Tennis balls can be cut open just enough to put treats inside....and there are a bunch of food-dispensing interactive toys that are great for dogs here:http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=39&CFID=2703674&CFTOKEN=88552746Teaching fetch is simplest when your dog loves playing with the ball already, and you have got a room that's got an empty corner. Tossing the ball into the corner encourages her to turn right around to you when she chases it. Good luck!