How do I get my dog in the car?

My dog use to be fine getting in the car but now every time we try to leave the park she starts biting the leash and refuses to get into the car because she doesn't want to leave. We try bribing her with treats but she still won't get in the car and…

My dog use to be fine getting in the car but now every time we try to leave the park she starts biting the leash and refuses to get into the car because she doesn't want to leave. We try bribing her with treats but she still won't get in the car and…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How do I get my dog in the car?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I get my dog in the car?

How do I get my dog in the car? Dogs Training Discussions
      My dog use to be fine getting in the car but now every time we try to leave the park she starts biting the leash and refuses to get into the car because she doesn't want to leave. We try bribing her with treats but she still won't get in the car and she's to heavy to lift. Any suggestions?

How do I get my dog in the car? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Hi Brittany, I was in a similar situation not long ago. My dog just would not get in the car! I eventually was fed up with it, so I simply drove home. The next day I went back to my local park to check on him. He spent the night there, he was cold, scared, and had a few cuts, which I assume were from some encounter with a wild animal. When he saw me he quickly ran to me and started crying. This time, he was perfectly willing to get into the car. So next time it happens, instead of waiting a day, maybe just rough him up a bit until he feels that the park is unsafe. Naturally he will then get into the car.

• well... sm as our dog but hes still small... 9 months old... we just lift him up and put him at the back of the car and i'll just hold his collar until my dad closed the back car door thing..

• She is just not ready to leave. Is she getting to go as often and stay as long? Are you doing something different that she misses? Is there anything you and she used to do, that you no longer do? Could she loose weight? Could she run harder and be a bit more tired?

• When you take her to the park let her know how long your going to be there, set a time limit on how long you will be there and keep it. For instance if you go every day for one hour, be sure to go every day AT THE SAME TIME and STAY for ONE HOUR. Depending on the breed of your dog, it could take as little as two weeks or as long as 6 weeks. This type of behavior training is time consuming, but it works. When you get to your car, to leave, firmly insist that she get into the car,do not loose your temper or get angry. Simply, tell her to "get in" the car. I'm lazy, so I trained our dogs to respond to "up" and pointed to where I wanted the dog to go. Also, practice taking her other places, getting her into and out of the car, so she learns the command and the action associated with it. In a real pinch, you can teach her to "get in" and "get out" of the car at home. However, if you do this, she may only associate the command(s) with car at home. Good Luck