What is the best breed of dog for a child of 2-3 years?

I would like one that isn't aggressive but also not too high maintenance. I was thinking of a yellow lab or English <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/8-bulldog/?s=849b58fdf9f4fd578f4585362fdf7ad8068804d1">Bulldog</a>. I'm afraid the <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/8-bulldog/?s=849b58fdf9f4fd578f4585362fdf7ad8068804d1">Bulldog</a> is too lazy for a toddler. I don't know much about breeds so any help is appreciated.

I would like one that isn't aggressive but also not too high maintenance. I was thinking of a yellow lab or English <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/8-bulldog/?s=849b58fdf9f4fd578f4585362fdf7ad8068804d1">Bulldog</a>. I'm afraid the <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/8-bulldog/?s=849b58fdf9f4fd578f4585362fdf7ad8068804d1">Bulldog</a> is too lazy for a toddler. I don't know much about breeds so any help is appreciated....
    Dogs Training Discussions : What is the best breed of dog for a child of 2-3 years?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is the best breed of dog for a child of 2-3 years?

What is the best breed of dog for a child of 2-3 years? Dogs Training Discussions
      I would like one that isn't aggressive but also not too high maintenance. I was thinking of a yellow lab or English Bulldog. I'm afraid the Bulldog is too lazy for a toddler. I don't know much about breeds so any help is appreciated.

What is the best breed of dog for a child of 2-3 years? Dogs Training Discussions
    • If your going for a large dog, a border collie, or lab is good. if you want a smaller dog, go for a poodle or in my opinion the cavalier's are the best with kids. They are even tempered, affectionate and fun to have around.

• try a stuffed animal... buy a dog later ask a pet shop u should not decide to buy a animal for a young person many do and return it because of aggression or allergies or cant commit to having a dog wait until the child is older like five to eight but ask a pet shop sales person

• blah blah blah, labs labs labs. The "lab" is the all american favorite but they have alot of health problems, alot. I suggest boxers or any small lap dog with a good temperment, boston terriers or french bulldogs ....................

• Consider adopting a greyhound from your local rescue operation. They are VERY docile and good with children and other pets. They are also very trainable and live well in the house - and a good size for your small child. The only thing is they do NEED to live in the house, especially in colder months. On the plus side, their fur is extremely short, they don't shed much and they are very easy to bathe.

• Labs are the number one family dogs! Please rescue from the shelter!!! You can find dogs that are appropriate for childen there and NONE of them are going to be high maintenance like purebreeds! Not to mention purebreds are often ill because they are so purebred...if that makes sense...a little mutt is good all around!

• A puppy is better than a full-grown dog with young kids. An adult dog that hasn't been around small kids might be quite upset by having a child crawl all over it and pull its fur. A puppy will grow up accepting this behavior as a normal part of life, and will be much more tolerant of the child.

• I have two dachshunds that love my grandsons ages 2 and 3. But we also have a rhodesian ridgeback/bloodhound mix and a chow mix in the back yard that are really good with them, too. Just don't get anything especially agressive...that means no dobies, no rotties, no pitbulls. I wouldn't get a chihuahua or a min pin either. No maltese...those are too fragile. A beagle might be good, or some kind of a retriever.

• Most of your hound and retriver breeds are good dogs.In all honesty,I'm a bit bias. If you've got the room,I'd say get a great dane. Example: We were at the local bark park (off leash dog park) and two little two year old girls got into a hair pulling,screeching match.The dogs in the park were 2 shepherds,my great dane,a lab,a chihuahua,a few mixed breeds and a pair of pit bulls.My dog's ears jumped up at the girls screaming,he turned from playing and walked right over to these two girls that he had -never in his life met-. He sniffed them,realized they were okay,and headed over to their mothers. He promptly sat down,looked back at the girls,looked at the mothers and walked away again.My great dane will be two in May. He's not trained for things like that... yet he does them anyway because it's his nature to do as such.However,I would suggest you adopt a full grown dane from a rescue just so you don't get the 'surprise' of how big they get. =) And so you don't have to go through puppyhood when you're going through toddlerhood,too.

• By far a cavalier for children, they are known for being placid dogs with children.I have one and he is such a gentle loving sook! You do have to groom them as they have long hair...but you don't have to groom them a lot...you can keep them clipped and take them to a dog groomer.I walk my cav once a day if i can but, they dont really care as long as they have attention. A ball game in the backyard is just as good. Just don't feed them too much as they love their food and can become overweight.They are really suited as indoor dogs (especially if they are not with other cavaliers) as they crave attention.Buy from a reputable breeder as there are hereditary conditions with this breed that good breeders are breeding out! However backyard breeders (only in it for the $$) and pet stores are to be avoided.Some dogs (especially when young pups) jump up and this is scary and can be very dangerous for a young child. Labs i know need lots of training to be a calm sensible dog around children. Stick to the smaller less aggressive breeds like a "King Charles Cavalier".Do a lot of research about any breed before getting one and take your time! a dog is a huge 10+ year commitment.Good luck!

• Well bulldogs aren't actually so great. Bulldogs are unfortunately very dumb dogs and they suffer from many genetic disorders. Many stores actually refuse to sell them because they are such expensive and high risk dogs! (expect to pay at least $2000 for one) They would also shed by the way even though they have short furI would reccomend a dog with hair (hair grows and you have to cut it a few times of year but it doesn't shed while any fur will shed)I think you would do well with...A miniature poodle - Going to weigh about 15 and does not shed. Has an amazing temperment and the second smartest breed of dog (first is border collie but those are high maintenance since they require alot of attention to keep them busy) poodles are great for any environment and are amazing with families! By the way, don't let the stereotype of fufu poodles deter you from this breed, there are many ways in which you can choose to keeping this dog's hair styleI would also reccomend a Westie Terrier - Does not shed, smart dog, and about 15-20 poundsBoth are low maintenance and amazing with families, if you'd like more help you can email me with more questions!PS: Labs are actually high maintenance. They require a large amount of physical activity and will shed everywhere! In reality, all bigger breeds require alot more dedication than smaller ones.

• Every one here is going to tell the breed of dog they have is the best dog for kids, well a lot of them are wrong. You need to research the many different breeds and make an educated decision on what you think is the best breed for you and your families lifesyle. AKC has a web site with descriptions of all recognized breeds of dog. AKC.org You could also read a few books like Encyclopedia of Dog Breeds, or Idiots Guide to Chosing, Buying and Raising a Dog.If properly trained and embraced as a beloved member of the family, any breed can make a great pet. With that said, some dogs are seen as more “kid-friendly” than others and, as a result, have become extremely popular among families. According to the AKC, the five most popular breeds in the United States are:Labrador Retrievers are by far America’s most popular dog—more than 140,000 Lab puppies were registered last year with the AKC—and have a reputation for being playful, hardworking and affectionate toward children. The Lab is easily trained and is highly respected for his prowess at many jobs: as a guide dog for the disabled, a search-and-rescue dog, and for narcotics detection.Golden Retrievers are sporty, easy to train and strong, but their most outstanding trait is character. They are outgoing and devoted companions to people of all ages, happy and trusting. They make great hunting companions, too.German Shepherd are noble in appearence and character. This breed's courage, steadfast heart, and keen senses have endeared him to families for generations. Active and outdoorsy, German Shepherds are very fond of children and make wonderful companions.Beagles love being around people and other animals. They are gentle, happy companions who thrive on affection and attention. They are also clever, quick, and, most of all curious. They need plenty of active exercise.Boxers are high-spirited, playful, curious and energetic. Highly intelligent, eager and quick to learn, but can be stubborn and sneaky. Constantly on the move, bonding very closely with the family. Loyal and affectionate, Boxers are known for the way they get along so well with children. A well brought-up and properly socialized Boxer will also get along with his own kind and other household pets.You should do your research before you bring any animal into your home. If breed is not an issue you could always adopt a pup from your local pound or shelter. They come spayed or neutered, up to date on vaccinations and you can find all ages, sizes and breeds. As I stated in the beginning any dog can be good with children it is a matter of how the are trained and socialized. Small children should never be left alone with dogs.

• Check your local shelter for one that seems to "click" with you and your child. For a child that young, you dont want anything bigger than a Bulldog and nothing with long hair that can be pulled. The bulldog will probably be your best bet. They can be very expensive, so you might want to check the site listed below for dogs for adoption. Just type in the required info and see what comes up! Good luck finding your new best friend!!!!

• First, ALL puppies are high maintenance! They require as much work, teaching, and supervision as your child - except that you don't have to dress them.As a professional dog trainer, I suggest that you wait until your child is at least 6 years old. Children younger than 6 do not possess enough logic to understand that the dog is a living, breathing creature with emotions ... and is not a stuffed toy come-to-life that they can dominate and unintentionally abuse. I see it far too often that the parents think the child and pup should grow up together, and they are not remotely prepared for the constant supervision that is required with a puppy. Puppies nip, mouth, pee and poop - and they don't naturally train themselves. Do yourself a favor and plan on hiring a professional trainer as part of your budget. If you can afford the dog, you need to also afford professional training that starts when you bring home the dog. Positive reinforcement training doesn't use choke chains and so you can start the training as young as 8 weeks old.If you absolutely must have a dog, look at the shelter first for an older, more mature dog. There are lots of great dogs at shelters who end up there because of divorces, moving to another state or into an apartment. If you really must have a puppy, take a look at the Pug. You will get the Bulldog look, but Pugs are better with kids. Don't kid yourself if you think that Bulldogs are lazy. Bulldogs are fast and busy as puppies, and they are highly independent requiring a dog-saavy owner. All dogs are brilliant and some of the smartest dogs I've worked with have been Bulldogs. Had one myself many years ago and his problem solving ability was amazing to watch. In the end, I still recommend that you wait until your child is older. Take a look at the Clicker Puppy DVD, where you can see children 6 years+ training puppies. You can find it at Amazon.

• A Labrador Retriever would be an excellent breed for your family. They are amazing dogs with children. They aren't known to be aggressive but as with all breeds, they need to be socialized at a young age so that he does not become shy, timid or aggressive. They aren't high maintenance but need a LOT of exercise. They need at least 2 walks per day for an hour each time. If you can't provide that, forget the Lab. English Bulldogs are great family pets and get along really well with children of all ages. Although they were once fighting dogs, they are still very affectionate and make excellent guard dogs. They aren't lazy at all! They need just as much exercise as a medium sized dog. They aren't high maintenance either but are prone to a fair share of health problems and special attention is needed when cleaning under the folds of skin on his face and body. Also, you may want to consider a Beagle or a Boxer. Both are great pets for kids and again, are not high maintenance. They both need just as much exercise as the Labrador (Boxer especially) and as with all breeds, are prone to many health problems (Beagle - back problems, dwarfism etc. Boxer - heart problems, joint problems etc.) so you should only ever get a Pedigree (purebred) dog from a reputable breeder.