Worst dog training class you were ever in?

If you have been in a seriously bad dog training class, tell me about it! I was in one class where the instructor did her homework for a class she was taking, rarely looking up to see what and how we were doing...(but not for long). What story do you…

If you have been in a seriously bad dog training class, tell me about it! I was in one class where the instructor did her homework for a class she was taking, rarely looking up to see what and how we were doing...(but not for long). What story do you…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : Worst dog training class you were ever in?...

• Worst dog training class you were ever in?

Worst dog training class you were ever in? Dogs Training Discussions
      If you have been in a seriously bad dog training class, tell me about it! I was in one class where the instructor did her homework for a class she was taking, rarely looking up to see what and how we were doing...(but not for long). What story do you care to share?

Worst dog training class you were ever in? Dogs Training Discussions
    • In Obedience School a few years ago, this guy had brought his "Perfect Little Doggy, 1oo% Trained" in the Class to show everyone how great of an example he was. If you call- Not getting along with dogs, barking, yelping for NO reaon, growling at NOTHING, not obeying worth sh*t... if you call that 1oo% Trained, my dog is o% trained. o.o

• Well I brought my dog to a day long "boot camp" for dogs, only to find out she was left with a prong collar on, in a CHAIN LINK KENNEL (tiny) in the cold for hours, then left in the sun. (She is white) with no food, water, or bed in a cement kennel. They never even worked with her. She could have snagged the prong on the fence and hung herself and no one would have known. I never went back.

• i brought my dog to this one class and the first class the instructor told us we were going to tire our dogs out by having them sit on an elevated wooden box for the entire hour ?!!? i was like, okay, and not many of the dogs could do it because they were all puppies !!! what puppy is going to hold a sit on a wooden box for an hour ... the instructor proceeded to spew his beliefs on dog training and would grab leashes of certain dogs and drag it into the middle and showed his idea of leash correction ... i wouldn't allow him to take my dog ... then he proceed to put all the dogs that could not sit still on the boxes to one end of the room and he called them the "remedial section" !!! i could not go back to that class ... crazy comes to mind when i remember that guy ...

• Any class where the trainers tell you they won't use their dog to demonstrate because it would show them up. At least half of the trainers at the school I went to a couple of years ago said this.If they can't train their own dog, how can they possibly help me train mine??

• The other trainer that was hired at my store teaches a training method called the compulsive learning theory. Basically it states the dog obeys to avoid punishment. If he was a real trainer who is up to date on the proven positive methods, he would know that dogs learn best by a positive based punishment rather than a physical one. In short I have seen this brut of a man hang and jerk aggressive dog via on leashes. He has even gone as fare as pinching the whisker glands on the dog to get them to obey. Some of you may not see the problem in this, but as someone who has gone to school to study dog behavior, it is insulting and honestly if I can be so bold cheating clients in thinking this is the right way into training dogs. If anyone wants to have a good dog trainer here are the list of criteria that will insure you they are good teachers:1) Ask if they have a valid Dog training certificate from a positive training school( look up the school via google)2) Ask if they use prong choke or shocks collars in training. They say yes to any of them DO NOT GO WITH THEM!3) Do they use any physical correction with there hands in training? The answer should be no.4) Ceaser Mulan or Victoria Stillwell? If it Ceaser they love, I promise you they will screw up your dog.5) Ask where the training will be. Outside?How many dogs? Is it sanitary?In my expeirance pet store trainers have little or no knowledge on how to properly train dogs. I have met many and have seen their classes. Best advice is to get a personal trainer who can come to your home and let your dog be in it's own home where he will learn the best.And in case your are wondering where my education comes from here is the school I am going toanimalbehaviorcollege.com. Same school Victoria Stilwell from " It's me or the Dog" graduated from. That and also I had to work on an externship for 7 months versing myself in different AKC breed groups. Am I educated? Yes. Do I know my material? Yes. Am I a dog whisper? No. I am a person who can get into about a 90% radius of what your dog may be thinking. Thank you for this question, and if you ever have training questions feel free to ask me. ^^ [email protected]