What do dogs really do on an average day?

Now I know that cats sleep. But aren't dogs more active compared to cats? I mean whenever I am home, my dog plays a little, eats a little, and sleeps a lot. My dog is not overweight I thought that she would be a bit more active than what she is.

Now I know that cats sleep. But aren't dogs more active compared to cats? I mean whenever I am home, my dog plays a little, eats a little, and sleeps a lot. My dog is not overweight I thought that she would be a bit more active than what she is....
    Dogs Training Discussions : What do dogs really do on an average day?...

• What do dogs really do on an average day?

What do dogs really do on an average day? Dogs Training Discussions
      Now I know that cats sleep. But aren't dogs more active compared to cats? I mean whenever I am home, my dog plays a little, eats a little, and sleeps a lot. My dog is not overweight I thought that she would be a bit more active than what she is.

What do dogs really do on an average day? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Depends on the dog and the amount of exercise it gets. Well exercised, well trained dogs will sleep through the day. Dogs that don't have an outlet for their energy will bark, chew, dig, etc.

• Sleep when inside, lay in the sun when outside. But mostly just sitting or laying there. When I am a couch potato so are dogs. But if I say let's go for a walk suddenly the dogs will wake up from the 10 year slumber and run to the door. You would think with 2 dogs that they will play all day. Both of mine mostly sleep during the day unless I have activities planned. They love car rides and hikes.

• Dogs are similar to children, they need love and affection. Take your dog for a good thirty minute walk at least once a day. Teach him or her a few things. such as, speak,give left paw, right paw. stay lay down. Having them fetch something is also good exercise mentally and physically. If you friends with dogs, let them play together. Try to do these things on a daily basis. Twice a day would be even better. Take care of your baby and he will take care of you.

• My dog is the same way, I have a very hyper dog at the perfect weight and when I became a stay at home mom I noticed that she sleeps, a lot! All day most days. I even have to pratically drag her to the leash so she can go outside sometimes. She gets bored watching me clean and cook all day, but as soon as I get up to play she's hyper again. I think dogs can only entertain themselves for so long until they eventually sleep from boredom!

• Yeah, dogs are more active than cats (cats sleep about 22 hours a day!), but when there is nothing going on, normal dogs sleep. As long as your dog is paying attention at the critical times like eating, cooking, going out, preparing to go for a ride, play time, stuff like that... I'd say your dog is fine. Your dog may be on the lower energy side of the scale since you are asking this question, but as long as she is healthy, the sleeping is normal.Edit to add:I forgot to answer your original question: What do dogs really do on an average day? Well, it depends what is going on. For example, I usually take my dog to work with me and she chases squirrels, greets people, runs around, gets into gross things on the shore (like rotten sea creatures), and sleeps in my truck when she feels like it. When I have to leave her home, she sleeps all day. It doesn't matter what time I come home- she's sleeping.If you want to interact with your dog more and keep her awake more, try thinking of a new game or training that your dog would be interested in and use the reward that best suits your dog be it food or a favorite toy.