Why are dogs more playful than cats? Cats tend to just walk around the house & climb stuff whereas dogs play.?

I mean, dogs play fetch, run around the house, following their owners, etc. while cats tend to just sit on one spot or climb on furniture. Why are dogs more active & playful than cats?

Why are dogs more playful than cats? Cats tend to just walk around the house & climb stuff whereas dogs play.?

I mean, dogs play fetch, run around the house, following their owners, etc. while cats tend to just sit on one spot or climb on furniture. Why are dogs more active & playful than cats?...
    Dogs Training Discussions : Why are dogs more playful than cats? Cats tend to just walk around the house & climb stuff whereas dogs play.?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why are dogs more playful than cats? Cats tend to just walk around the house & climb stuff whereas dogs play.?

Why are dogs more playful than cats? Cats tend to just walk around the house & climb stuff whereas dogs play.? Dogs Training Discussions
      I mean, dogs play fetch, run around the house, following their owners, etc. while cats tend to just sit on one spot or climb on furniture. Why are dogs more active & playful than cats?

Why are dogs more playful than cats? Cats tend to just walk around the house & climb stuff whereas dogs play.? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Ummm, maybe because they are different species with different tendancies. And, I know a cat that is everybit as active as a dog regarding play time and fetching.

• Cats are plenty playful - they are more able to entertain themselves with their toys than dogs are. Dogs prefer playing WITH their owners. Cats are more focused on the motion and scent (in the case of catnip) of their toys than whether or not a person is creating the motion. When there are 2 or more cats in the home, they spend more time playing with one another than a pair of dogs does.More elderly cats still play quite a bit more than elderly dogs do.

• Cats & dogs are two different species of animals. Cats do not have the same characteristics as dogs.Dogs are more independent on their owners. Dogs have since lost their ability to hunt for themselves so they require their owners to feed & care for them. Cats however still have the ability to hunt.Cats (other than the lion) are not very social animals in the Wild. They have their own space & can look after themselves. Dogs in the Wild (wolves) live in packs. They need each other if they are to find proper food. Domestic dogs, sometimes, are kept as a single dog & not with other dogs. Therefore, their owners/families become their "pack".But, cats ARE very playful. However, their toys (unlike some dogs) are enough to entertain them for a few hours or more. They don't mind if their owner doesn't play with them for a day, because they have other ways of entertaining themselves.Dogs however, need human attention. As I said before, in the Wild, as wolves, they live together in packs where they play & interact with others of their species. Playing with another being is much more fun - for them - than a lifeless toy.In the end though, cats are different from dogs, & dogs are different from cats. They are two opposite species.~ Blue

• Cats like to play when they are young but when they are old , they are calm. Dogs likes to play because they want to pay your attentions and they can get something to eat from their host.

• Dogs aren't more playful, they just like you more. Dogs are pack animals. Everything they do is an exercise in togetherness. In the absence of a pack of dogs, people become their pack. To them, you're a rock idol. Play and feeding time becomes their favorite language. Cats are solitary animals. Always have been. But I never had a cat that wouldn't play with me, and/or toys I got them. Some of my cats even fetch. And some really enjoyed playing with my Silky terrier.