Will a ferret get along with a dog and a cat?

I have a small toy poodle, very playful and likes to play with the cat by jumping and nip the cats tail. And then I have a cat who is very lazy but smart. When my dog plays with him he just ignores him and when the cat has had enough he turns around on…

I have a small toy poodle, very playful and likes to play with the cat by jumping and nip the cats tail. And then I have a cat who is very lazy but smart. When my dog plays with him he just ignores him and when the cat has had enough he turns around on…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : Will a ferret get along with a dog and a cat?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Will a ferret get along with a dog and a cat?

Will a ferret get along with a dog and a cat? Dogs Training Discussions
      I have a small toy poodle, very playful and likes to play with the cat by jumping and nip the cats tail. And then I have a cat who is very lazy but smart. When my dog plays with him he just ignores him and when the cat has had enough he turns around on the dog and hits him lightly as a warning. Will a Ferret get along.

Will a ferret get along with a dog and a cat? Dogs Training Discussions
    • My ferrets and cats get along fine. One of the ferrets likes to bite the cats on the cheek, but nothing has ever been an injury. I doubt any of the animals would really fight, but I'd keep an eye on the situation for at least a few weeks. I assume the ferret has it's own space and the cat and dog can enter it at their own liking. If they don't wish to be around the ferret, they will simply leave.

• I've had a hamster, guinea pig, dog and horse that all got along fine together. Introducing them to each other is key, introduce them as pack members (to the dog) by not allowing the ferret to run away, and blocking the dog when he is being too intrusive on the ferrets space, do the same with the cat. And after a while of these controlled repeated introductions all the animals will learn to respect each other and get along nicely.

• I would have to say maybe. Some ferrets will not mind the dog as long as the dog doesn't bother them but thats unlikely. To dogs it smells like a rodent most are quick to attack. I have a ferret, her name is delilah and her and my dog very much do not get along. However, my ferret before Milo, loved to play with my cat, she was young still very playful and so was he. They would run around and get into everything all day. But never would I leave them alone either.