How do i teach my dog to clean up his toys after he plays with them?

When my dog plays he takes all of his toys out of his basket and spreads them all over the house and i end up having to put them back and then he pulls them all out again. is there anyway i can teach him to put them back?

When my dog plays he takes all of his toys out of his basket and spreads them all over the house and i end up having to put them back and then he pulls them all out again. is there anyway i can teach him to put them back?...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How do i teach my dog to clean up his toys after he plays with them?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do i teach my dog to clean up his toys after he plays with them?

How do i teach my dog to clean up his toys after he plays with them? Dogs Training Discussions
      When my dog plays he takes all of his toys out of his basket and spreads them all over the house and i end up having to put them back and then he pulls them all out again. is there anyway i can teach him to put them back?

How do i teach my dog to clean up his toys after he plays with them? Dogs Training Discussions
    • it came naturally to my daschund to put them back, but my doberman, every time she took out a toy i would put it back in the basket, then she finally got it

• First, you'll need to teach him to "fetch". Throw his favorite toy & let him take it & then call him to bring it back to you. If he doesn't do it & walks off or drops it half way, then have another toy with you. Tease him with the other toy & ask him to come back with the toy. Ask him to "give". He must drop it in your hand, not the floor. Once he gives it to you in your hand, praise & pop a treat in its mouth. Repeat this for 5 repetitions then give him a break. Try again every few hours but only train for 5 minutes long. You don't want the dog to get bored with it.Once he's learned this trick, then move on to teaching the "clean up" trick. Have a big basket or tub in front of you. Ask him to fetch one of his toys then call him. When he brings it back to you, tell him to "give"& he's supposed to drop the toy in your hand, when he does that, immediately move your hand away so that the toy drops into the basket or tub instead. Praise & treat. Do it a few more times then take a break.Later try changing the "give" command to "clean up". The dog must drop the toy into the basket/tub. If he drops it outside of it, throw the toy again & ask him to fetch it & then tell him to drop it into the basket/tub. Then praise & treat. Don't praise & treat if he's done it wrongly. He must do it right. But never scold if he's done something wrong. This is not Obedience training.Once he's mastered both "fetch"&"clean up" then you will not have any problems asking him to clean up after playing with his toys. Just remember to be patient. This training can take up to weeks or maybe months. Always be patient & consistent.And if you do not want him taking out his toys from the basket/tub again, then put it high up somewhere where he can't reach it or cover it. Simple. Hope this helped.