How many hours apart should I walk an Adult Dog, for potty breaks?

And how many times a day should I walk an adult dog for potty breaks? Once or Twice??? I have only walked my adult dog once a day going on for months now. And I'm a little worried also. She is a Shih Tzu and she is over a year old now. But she holds it…

And how many times a day should I walk an adult dog for potty breaks? Once or Twice??? I have only walked my adult dog once a day going on for months now. And I'm a little worried also. She is a Shih Tzu and she is over a year old now. But she holds it…...
    General Dog Discussions : How many hours apart should I walk an Adult Dog, for potty breaks?...

• How many hours apart should I walk an Adult Dog, for potty breaks?

How many hours apart should I walk an Adult Dog, for potty breaks? General Dog Discussions
      And how many times a day should I walk an adult dog for potty breaks? Once or Twice??? I have only walked my adult dog once a day going on for months now. And I'm a little worried also. She is a Shih Tzu and she is over a year old now. But she holds it all day after one 30 minute potty break, every day?....I LIVE IN AN APARTMENT, IN THE CITY. ;)

How many hours apart should I walk an Adult Dog, for potty breaks? General Dog Discussions
    • do you only pee once or twice a day? I didnt think so.She should be walked several times a day to be given the chance to relieve herself. She will get urinary tract infections if she's forced to hold her bladder all day.When someone is home, my dog is let out to pee every 3-5 hours. We let him pee before we leave the house, and let him out to pee again when we return. He pees in the morning, and gets a chance to pee again before bed.It doesnt matter that you live in an apartment.. put a leash on her and take her out. Each potty break doesnt have to be "30 minutes".. just long enough for her to pee.

• She should have the opportunity to go out about every 8 hours - i.e. before work, after work, before bed. Otherwise there can be complications in her urinary and digestive tracts from "holding it" too long. Also make sure that she is getting sufficient exercise and attention, for a small breed a game of fetch down a hallway for 30 minutes might be sufficient, but walking for 30 minutes or more at least once a day will be good for both of you. It will also give you an opportunity to socialize her to strange dogs, people, and places which will make her calmer and more confident, not to mention a chance to exercise her brain by practicing her obedience exercises and tricks in distracting places.If a long walk in the morning is the only chance she has to get out, consider getting puppy pads or a doggy litter box (I usually endorse neither) so that she can relieve herself at other times for the sake of her health.