How do you punish a puppy for chewing on something?

My 11 week old dog chewed on my iPod head phones. I yelled no and tapped her nose. I don't know if that was a good idea, not enough, too much. I don't know.

How do you punish a puppy for chewing on something?

My 11 week old dog chewed on my iPod head phones. I yelled no and tapped her nose. I don't know if that was a good idea, not enough, too much. I don't know....
    General Dog Discussions : How do you punish a puppy for chewing on something?...

• well its a puppy and just like a baby its teething, so keep all things away from it that you dont want it to chew on, also buy some hard bones so it can chew on those not other things at PETCO or any other pet store they sell toys that are made for teething puppies, and bitter apple spray will help with chewing on furniture.

• The puppy needs no punishment, you do! You are the one at fault for leaving these dangerous items where the puppy could get a hold of them. The poor little thing could have easily chocked.

• It is your fault the pup chewed on your headphones, not hers. She should not be punished for your error.Puppy-proof your house and put all things that you don't want her to damage out of her reach. Spray Bitter Apple or mouthwash on things that you can't put away (furniture, for instance). Provide at least one chew toy in every room of the house. Confine her when you can't supervise her. If you see her chewing something she shouldn't, take it from her and give her a toy to chew on instead. Praise her when she chews on the correct things.

• Yeah, don't hit the dog, dont tap her nose, just replace the thing shes chewing on with a bone or toy. When you hit them, they might get scared of you. Shes just teething too! Get her a small Kong toy and put a treat in it. Dogs LOVE those things! Good luck!

• you are going to get so many answers like DONT HIT THE DOGtime out!!!no dinneror other crazy things but do what ever works for youi just have to start counting like 1...2...3... most of the time if i have to get to 3 i put him in his crate and wait till he is calm to let him back out works for me

• I believe you should not spank your cute little puppy. saying, "No,bad girl/boy" in an authoritative voice is sufficient. Dogs can not reason like humans, but they are trainable. You must be consistent in everything you do. Like same time for walking, feeding and always set aside some time to play even on weekends. So choose a time that is best for you and remain consistent. Pretty soon you and your dog will be trained and you both will be happy.

• Bad idea. Just put your things away, out of reach of puppy. Give your puppy her own toys, and make them accessible. Never yell or raise your voice to your puppy; it is not effective. Instead, speak in a low voice to let her know in as few words as possible that she can't chew on your toys--then, give her one of her own chew toys.

• don't smack your puppy for bad behaviour, tell her no, put her in a different room to you and ignore her for a while, dogs don't like being ignored. Only tell her off when you catch her in the act as she won't remember what she did wrong earlier so she won't know why she's being punished. If you tap her for being naughty she'll see it as a game and she'll turn spiteful, thinking it's playing.

• If you leave things out and leave the puppy uncrated when you are out, then don't be surprised when the puppy chews your stuff up. It's normal behavior for a puppy to chew. He hasn't actually done anything WRONG...but you need to give him chew toys that are OK TO CHEW.....Read some manuals on how to raise puppies.

• You use negative punishment followed by positive reinforcement.In other words you take the object away from the pup along with a firm "NO", you then give the puppy something it is allowed to chew along with a happy "HERE"

• Punishment is a fairly useless tool in dog training. It has to be administered within ONE SECOND of the undesirable behaviour, or the dog will have no clue what it's getting punished for. Puppies chew, especially 11 week old ones. Keep things out of her way, especially things with wires or anything important!Get her proper chew toys that she can gnaw on to her heart's content, and shove one in her mouth when she starts gnawing something inappropriate. She will most likely grow out of it by 6-7 months, i.e. when she's finished teething. Just be consistent in showing her what's OK to chew and what's not.Chalice

• First step, Never punish a dog for doing something. they don't understand that what they have done is wrong, you have to teach them what is right and wrong. At 11 weeks old your puppy is teething. Does she have toys and chewy treats? If no get her some...should you catch her chewing on something she shouldn't redirect her to what she should be chewing on with is her toys and her treats, Also try giving her a few ice cubes..the will help numb the pain in her sore gum's. From the http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pets_destructiveWhat to do:- Provide the dog with plenty of his own toys and chew bones; introduce something new every day or two.- Give the dog a “single serving” chew bone once or twice a day—something he will finish in one chew session (i.e. Greenie, Dentabone, rawhide chip, etc.).- Identify the times of the day when your dog is likely to chew, and give him a stuffed Kong, Goodie Ship, or Buster Cube at this time. You can include some of his daily ration of food in the toy.- Discourage chewing inappropriate items with chewing deterrents, such as Bitter Apple or Chew Guard* (see below for application tips).- Always supervise your dog. If you see him licking or chewing an item he shouldn’t, say “uh uh,” remove the item from his mouth and insert something that he can chew. Be sure to praise him.- Booby-trap the counters and tables to discourage the dog from jumping up. You can try double-sided sticky tape, cookie sheets placed precariously so they fall down if the dog touches them and a pyramid of empty soda cans all tied together and placed so that they fall if the dog touches them (you can tie to a small tidbit of food to this contraption).You can also place “baits” to be stolen: food adulterated with bad-tasting substances, such as Tabasco or Bitter Apple.What not to do:- Do not show the dog the damage and spank, scold, or punish him after the fact.- There are dog training books still being published today that advocate dangerous and inhumane techniques, such as using duct tape to hold a dog’s mouth closed around a chewed object, or filling a hole with water and holding a dog’s head under. Just in case it’s not obvious—methods such as these are ineffective and horribly cruel- Do not crate the dog for lengthy periods of time to prevent destructive chewing.* Using taste deterrents: When you first use the deterrent, apply a small amount to a piece of tissue or cotton wool. Place it directly into the dog’s mouth, allow him to taste it and then spit it out. The dog has learned the link between the taste and the odor of the substance and will be more likely to avoid chewing items that smell like the substance. Re-apply the deterrent to the off-limits objects every day for 2-4 weeks.

• Don't punish. The dog doesn't know. Take away the headphones and give the dog something acceptable to chew. If you don't catch the dog in the act, it's too late to do anything. If you catch the puppy, say NO, take the headphones away and give the puppy something acceptable to to play with instead.