How do you keep your pet rats from chewing their hammock?

I feel like every time I put one up it is dismantled within a day or two. I have tried putting Eyelets into the corners but they still chew it. Any suggestions for the best thing to hang the hammock with? Should I use stronger fabric than fleece? I…

I feel like every time I put one up it is dismantled within a day or two. I have tried putting Eyelets into the corners but they still chew it. Any suggestions for the best thing to hang the hammock with? Should I use stronger fabric than fleece? I…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do you keep your pet rats from chewing their hammock?...

• How do you keep your pet rats from chewing their hammock?

How do you keep your pet rats from chewing their hammock? General Dog Discussions
      I feel like every time I put one up it is dismantled within a day or two. I have tried putting Eyelets into the corners but they still chew it. Any suggestions for the best thing to hang the hammock with? Should I use stronger fabric than fleece? I know not to use towels. When my dogs chew their dog beds my mom puts a tiny bit of tobasco sauce around on the edges. I feel like that would be a bad idea with rats though. Ideas please!

How do you keep your pet rats from chewing their hammock? General Dog Discussions
    • The short answer is: You can't stop the rats from chewing.You could try giving them other things to chew (wood blocks, wicker stuff), or you could try putting some Bitter Apple spray on the hammock to make it taste bad (it's safe for pets), but if they really wanna chew it, they will.

• When I had rats I never had a hammock, but what I do know is that rats lovelovelove to chew. I suspect that there isn't really a healthy way to prevent them from doing it. However, if you supplied many things that were more fun to chew for your rats, perhaps they would chew those more than the hammock. Lots of variety, etc. Also, I can't image fleece would be much of a deterent, but I don't know enough about different fabrics and their toxin levels to suggest a good one. Perhaps sometime made of canvas - that can be a pretty tough fabric - as long as it isn't treated with anything (back to toxins). Good luck to you!

• I don't know of any way to keep them from chewing the hammocks. Like someone else said, maybe put more chew toys in the cage for them? Maybe it would help to hang toys right next to or above each hammock, for those rats that are just too lazy to get out of bed to chew on something.You can try making a "Chewers Hammock" like the one at http://www.dapper.com.au/hammocks.htm#chewersIf they are only/mostly chewing the corners, You could also just cut very large squares of fleece and cut a small hole in each corner to hang it with. When they chew the corners, just cut it a little smaller, cut more holes for hanging and use it again. Just keep doing that until the square becomes too small. Fleece doesn't need to be hemmed, it won't fall apart in the wash like other fabrics.If all else fails, you can just stop using hammocks. Just cut a piece of fleece and put it in a box for them to sleep on.As for hanging hammocks, I use metal shower hooks. You can find them in many stores, normally in the curtain section. They are only $1.50 or less for a package of 12.And I agree to not use tabasco sauce. Some bitter spray like someone else suggested might work but they might actually like the taste.