I have a 2 year old dog that keeps biting the 4 year old kid. (both boys) How do I make him stop??

He is a black lab/Airedale terrier, and I do not want to get rid of him, so please don't post answers like, "OMG! get rid of the dog right awayyyyyyyyyyyy! It bit someone!"or " well, if your dog bit the kid, I think you should put him in a pound." So…

I have a 2 year old dog that keeps biting the 4 year old kid. (both boys) How do I make him stop??

He is a black lab/Airedale terrier, and I do not want to get rid of him, so please don't post answers like, "OMG! get rid of the dog right awayyyyyyyyyyyy! It bit someone!"or " well, if your dog bit the kid, I think you should put him in a pound." So…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : I have a 2 year old dog that keeps biting the 4 year old kid. (both boys) How do I make him stop??...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I have a 2 year old dog that keeps biting the 4 year old kid. (both boys) How do I make him stop??

I have a 2 year old dog that keeps biting the 4 year old kid. (both boys) How do I make him stop?? Dog Breed Discussions
      He is a black lab/Airedale terrier, and I do not want to get rid of him, so please don't post answers like, "OMG! get rid of the dog right awayyyyyyyyyyyy! It bit someone!"or " well, if your dog bit the kid, I think you should put him in a pound." So what do I do?

I have a 2 year old dog that keeps biting the 4 year old kid. (both boys) How do I make him stop?? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I'd say you have several choices.Train the dog.Train the kid.Crate the dog.I would recommend judicious use of all three.More information would also be helpful.1) define bite.2) when do they occur?3) why is the dog allowed access to a 4YO if bites have been occuring?4) what training has the dog had?

• There is no simple answer to this, James. If you want to keep the dog, you need to consult an behaviorist to find the root of the problem and train around it.There is the question of are these aggressive bites or play bites? Has the dog broken skin? What is the reaction from both the boy and the dog after the bite? The list goes on...If you are not in a terrible hurry, email me and I can try to help you out more.

• Well, first off you haven't given anybody enough information for anyone to suggest any kind of treatment plan.Secondly, a dog biting a child, whether it does damage to the kid or not, is a very serious matter that is best handled by a professional. You may need to face the fact that not all dogs can live with children and you may have to get rid of the dog whether you want to or not. But you will be better able to make that decision if you have to after working with a professional who has sucessfully dealt with similar behavioral problems.