How much does the average dog breeder make?

I know that the numbers vary alot due to how many dogs they have, how much they sell them for ect..But if you are a dog breeder yourself, or you know someone...How many dogs do you have? And how much do you make annually with your dogs?

How much does the average dog breeder make?

I know that the numbers vary alot due to how many dogs they have, how much they sell them for ect..But if you are a dog breeder yourself, or you know someone...How many dogs do you have? And how much do you make annually with your dogs?...
    General Dog Discussions : How much does the average dog breeder make?...

• I know when my mom got ur first dog it was from a breeder and he was sell them for 500.00$ and my mom new him from her school because they are teachers so he sold her for 150.00 to my mom and no one also as far as i know but the dogs he breed were just maltese but he does not do that know more...

• A good dog breeder actually looses money because they spend more on their dogs and pups than they make from the sale of pups with top quality food, health checks, necessary tests and keeping up to date health certificates for eyes or whatever else is recommended for the breed, if you show your dog you have to pay to enter shows, vet care, extra heating for the pups, etc.

• this isn't about MONEY; to do it right, you really lose money; to do it right; you don't leave them alone in a kennel but family raise them; you can lose your dog, you can lose puppies, you can have a pup with a problem and then there are vet bills , deworming, socialization , screening for good homes; in fact if you factor in time to clean up , train, pay attention, and food, vet, follow up care you lose money; I turned down over 30 people the two times that I did do it; I still keep in touch 5 years later, I turned down all kinds of weirdos; I have a policy to take them back at any time for any reason ; you get what you pay for , my dogs are PETS; breeders can't be breeding for long and not get rid of the dogs as they get older, etc ; how is it that you have dogs to breed and then get rid of them when they don't suit your purpose; even puppy mills can give you AKC registration papers; stay out of it if you think there is an income in it; there are enough bad breeders out there ; we don't need any more. Sell sell sell ; I have the daughter and a Mom ; and no I am not breeding the daughter, we did breed the Mom to keep a puppy for us ; they sleep together , the Mom still treats her daughter as a daughter and visa versus, the daughter still runs to her Mom for comfort ; and sleeps with her with her paw thrown over her Mom ; when they are separated the Mom always is concerned looking for her; our puppies now adults come back to visit and still remember where everything was , is ; it isn't about money !!!

• For a back yard breeder who gets into it just for the fun, there's almost no profit at all. All the income goes to taking care of the mother and her puppies. But if you want to get into breeding as a business, it's a life-long commitment, because it will take fifteen to twenty years just to see if your selective breeding program has really improved the breed's health, conformation, disposition, or whatever other trait you're looking to improve. If you're just in it for the money, it probably isn't worth it. Here's a site where you can find out what's involved with getting started in the dog breeding business:http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/dbb.html

• a good breeder doesn't make much, if anything. you should never look at any pet with dollar signs in your eyes. between health checks, blood work, hip xrays (depending on the breed) and any other vet checks on top of vaccinations, quality food and breeding to another quality dog and paying the stud fees, there isn't much to be made. there are often delivery emergencies and they usually don't fall within regular vet business hours so you pay emergency fees. in my area an emergency fee is between $100-$150 just o have the pet seen. that includes no treatment, it is the price to be let in the door. a breed quality dog is not a dog you feel is perfect, but one that has been proven perfect compared to breed standards. showing has its own list of expenses that will also subtract from any breeding money. the people who make money breeding are not concerned with breeding quality, healthy pets, they are worried about how much they will make. and before you decide to breed spend some time at your local shelter to see how many pure bred dogs are housed there, and ask how many of those will be euthanized because there aren't homes for them all. i worked with a german shepherd rescue and several times a year they would be given full litters of pure bred pups, some papered, because the "breeder" couldn't find homes for them all. there is much more to consider than just the money you could make.

• Lots of "variables' in this question...BUTThe first litter that a breeder has? chances are that there is NO money made...because of the cost of :1) purchasing the female2)getting the needed "shots" and registration papers3) the cost of any shows or other "titles" that the female may get4)testing for health issues, that "vary" from each breed5) The stud fees6) the travel expense to get the female to the stud dog...quite possibly having to spend the night in hotels...waiting for the mating to happen.7) the cost of the puppy food and care for the first 8-10 weeks of the pups life.The above things are the "needed' items for the first litter...this doesn't include ANY of the time the breeder spent socializing the pup in order to get that pup to be a "great companion" for the puppy buyers or the time that is spent cleaning up after the pups...lots of time and energy is spent on "good pups" for those first 8 weeks...not to mention the time spent in talking with the new "puppy owners" that might be interested in one of the pups...and it doesn't include any of the time that a good breeder spends "talking" with the puppy buyers AFTER the pup leaves the breeders home...the breeders "job" doesn't end at the sale of their pup...it continues in the form of advise and support, to the new family, for the entire life of that pup...Now after the first litter? there MIGHT be a profit of some sort...

• Let's see. I start showing my bitch/dog from the time they're 6 months. Since I don't pay a handler I only have to worry about entry fees for each dog I enter, each day. I have to pay for gas to get me to the location, hotel accomodations, food, parking fees at the show site. Then there's the money I need to spend on gas to get back home.We'll be generous and guesstimate that the dog finishes by the time it's two years old. Entry fees are on average $25.00 for the class x 2 (weekend) = $50.00Gas to fill the tank $75.00 each way, that's minimum.And the hotel hell (Motel 6) is about $70.00 a night. If there's no Motel 6 you sometimes have to stay at a place where they charge you to have a dog in the room -another $25-$100 a night.Well eat cheap -$20.00Hmm, show collar and lead -$20.00 (cheap)Bait ($5.00, give or take)We show maybe two - three weekends a month and about 8 months out of the year.You do the math.Dog is finished, time to do health testing.Hips - $350Thyroid -$150Cardio -$150-$350CERF -$35Fees to submit each to OFA/CERF - $76Stud fee - $600 + (depends on dogs record, if he's had complete, good, health testing, been used frequently, if you get a live cover or have to pay for shipment, etc.)Pre breeding tests for bitch -$65.00Change of diet for bitch... oh gosh, that really depends on what your currently feed and her condition at time of breeding.I'll guess my girl would have to give birth to about 25 puppies. Hmm, but that would increase my expenses because I would have to devote time and more money to caring for those extra babies.Or I would have to have several litters a year. OH! But that would make me a backyard breeder or a puppy mill.Oh no, that can't be true. BYB's and PM's don't show their dogs, not one. BYB's and PM's don't do any health testing. Not one.And a reputable breeders doesn't typically breed several litters a year.

• LMAO,,, they do NOT MAKE MONEYfigure in cost of feeding cost of vettingcost of prebreeding DNA, genetic tests ( ofa, cerf, etc)cost of puppy eye clearancescost of puppy shotscost of traveling every weekend to go to showscost of show entry moneycost of paperwork ,etcetcetcNOT A PROFITABLE VENTURE,, they do it to better the breed... not for money

• A good breeder is lucky to break even, for too many reasons to list. Their reason for breeding is not for profit, but to produce sound dogs who fit the breed standard as closely as possible, not just in structure but also to continue the instincts within the breed for which that particular breed was originally developed, to correct structural faults and health problems.This is the reason, "good" breeders who place some of their puppies in "pet" homes require that the pup be spayed or neutered. This is not to say that the pup is not healthy, but it may not meet the strict conformation standards for breeding, which is the purpose of dog shows. These shows have qualified judges who know the standard of each breed they judge, the dogs are being judged for fitting the standard closely enough to be bred.Backyard breeder and puppy mills, do not hold to these standards, conformation or health wise. They attempt to capitalize on the expensive, time consuming tedious efforts of "true" breeders, who breed solely for the love and improvement of the breed.