What kinda of dog is good for a first time owner?

Im looking for something 30 to 60 pounds that does not bark a lot, intelligent, likes to excercise, and would be comfortable in an average sized apartment.

Im looking for something 30 to 60 pounds that does not bark a lot, intelligent, likes to excercise, and would be comfortable in an average sized apartment....
    Dog Breed Discussions : What kinda of dog is good for a first time owner?...

• What kinda of dog is good for a first time owner?

What kinda of dog is good for a first time owner? Dog Breed Discussions
      Im looking for something 30 to 60 pounds that does not bark a lot, intelligent, likes to excercise, and would be comfortable in an average sized apartment.

What kinda of dog is good for a first time owner? Dog Breed Discussions
    • a pitbull will excercise will not bark until 1 year old and will be very comfortable in an apartment...it only bark when there's a stranger or it wants your attention.....they are short and buff needs alot of excerise when a puppyfemale about 50 poundsmale alittle bit bigger 60 ish pound dependsa chihuahua barks alot so that's offbull dog are lazy and will not excise that muchwell that's my opinion about dogs some others might think of another dog....

• i live in a small apartment and a shih tzu works great plus they dont bark a lot if you treat them right... mine doesnt bark at all... and they dont get very big and love to exercise with you and run around and play... very good breeds... plus they dont shed hardly at all... so you dont have to vacuum as much... and if any of your friends might bw allergic to pets they can be around a shih tzu because they have human-like hair and no pet dander(the stuff people are allergic too)...

• i would suggest a cocker spaniel they are very well mannered dogs and do well with children and elderly they are a hunting breed of dog so they love excercise but they adapt easily to different environments These sociable dogs are good for both field trials and companionship. The ease of training and biddable personality allows them to be used in agility and other canine sports.

• Honestly I have two labs and a min Doberman/weenie mix and a big dog is definitely my choice but not recommended for first time owners ! Weenies are so hard to house train and stubborn ! But miniature dobermans are awesome and smart, my little doberman loves to race me back and forth around the house but then again I think I got a spastic puppy! My little one is house broken and he is great. Shitzus(spelling), poodles, and the "prissy" little dogs are barky ! All dogs will bark but you want something that isn't annoying !-Also, I don't think they are that cute but terriers are smart but HYPER ! Big dogs are bad "chewers". Bassets are good dogs but their ears get all messy when hey eat or drink. I guess with ALL that being said...I would recommend a miniature doberman or terrier, maybe a chihuahua. They are smart. Also realize that dogs, even little dogs, shed ! Good luck. Sorry to ramble.

• KUDOS to you for doing a little research on a dog that will be a good match for you! You'll be a much happier owner that way.My top recommendation: Check with your local greyhound rescue. Many of the smaller females fall into that size range; they're quiet, easy to train, super affectionate, and perfect for apartments because while they do love to run and play outdoors, they're pretty much couch potatoes indoors. Whippets are also fabulous apartment dogs for owners willing to exercise them, but a little smaller than what you're looking for. I second the recommendation for a Staffordshire too. Even pitbulls are wonderful companions if they're treated well, but some landlords don't allow them. :(Go to www.akc.org and find some breeds you like. Do websearches on them and read about their personalities. And good luck to you!

• Depends on your life style. If you are a very active person you will want a bigger dog with a lot of stamina. If you are more of a couch potato you want a smaller lazier kind of dog. It also depends on your home. If you do not have a back yard you are going to want a smaller dog that is very smart and easy to traine. I have pit bulls. the have a bad rap but they are good with people and really athletic. But I would not recommend them unless you have a lot of time to socialize them and you under stand they are power full dog that can do a lot of damage if you don't train them and care for them right. I would go to the pound and try to find a type of Shepperd/herder dog. Like a german shepard or a collie.

• A lot has to do with the owners personality,life style,& accomidatuons for the dog.For instance,if you are a normally very active person wih a per-sonality to match,then consider one of the more mid-sized work-ing class animals.Smaller breeds are generally too "hyper"&tend to want to be around you at all times.Conversely,larger breeds are more "laid-back",love your company,but not as proneto being under your feet all the time.(Picked up that bit of info from a vets column in the Saturdaymorning Denver Post several yrs.ago.)Go to your local library & do some research on the breeds.Stopby a few vet clinics & get their thoughts.The staff at your rescueshelters can be very helpful as well.Consider a srayed female as well.In my experiance,females area lot easier to work with than males.Not as headstrong & less ofa tendency to be hi-strung.

• ok i will name a couple that like to playfull exersizing dog yorky terrior black lab deer chowawa golden retrever poodle/toy poodle german shepperd palmeranian huskie............ pud bull dog pickanes..........

• Before you really answer this question consider whether you will be home alot or work 8 - 10 hours a day. I the later is true stay away from spaniels. These are companion dogs and need to socialize alot. There are some breeds of terriers that may be a bit more your speed.

• a lot of suggestions are good but I'm going to suggest a couple breeds which are not too commonly mentioned. First, the Airedale Terrier. Beautiful dog, very loyal and happy, and can be energetic when take outside and even indoors. A Wire Haired Terrier is also a nice breed. Someone mentioned an Australian Cattle Dog. They are good breed but need A LOT of exercise or they may become destructive. A pointer is a nice dog but you will need to take him out for exercise everyday so he can run around a bit. A Boxer would be a good dog as well. A Standard Schnauzer is a good breed as well. Very loyal and friendly and unlike their cousin the miniature schnauzer, they don't bark too much. For a first time owner of a medium sized dog, all of these would be great suggestions. All are friendly but very loyal and devoted to the owners/handlers. Airedales are also known for being protective and defensive of their owners. They can even be used for schutzhund and protection work.

• please go to the animal shelter before you buy your pet from a breeder... i got my dog from a shelter and i am so happy i did - he is my best mate! the people at the shelter will be able to tell you about each dog's personality plus you know when you've met the one that's right for you! good luck