Any of you had chemotherapy given to your dog with cancer?

My dog has osteosarcoma. The amputation is already done, but I am not sure about chemo, because of the side effects.What is your dogs experience on chemo? I am not worried about money, instead I am more concerned on making my dog happy for as long as…

My dog has osteosarcoma. The amputation is already done, but I am not sure about chemo, because of the side effects.What is your dogs experience on chemo? I am not worried about money, instead I am more concerned on making my dog happy for as long as…...
    General Dog Discussions : Any of you had chemotherapy given to your dog with cancer?...

• Any of you had chemotherapy given to your dog with cancer?

Any of you had chemotherapy given to your dog with cancer? General Dog Discussions
      My dog has osteosarcoma. The amputation is already done, but I am not sure about chemo, because of the side effects.What is your dogs experience on chemo? I am not worried about money, instead I am more concerned on making my dog happy for as long as possible!

Any of you had chemotherapy given to your dog with cancer? General Dog Discussions
    • It depends on the type of chemo, but dogs tend to tolerate it fairly well--rather better than humans. Some years ago I had a dog with cancer; he was on chemo for a few months with no apparent ill effects. The cancer slowed but did not stop, but it was a different type and removing it surgically was not an option.Good luck. I wish the best for you and your dog.

• Has the chest been x-rayed? Are the lungs clear? Many dogs do okay on chemo. They don't seem to become as sick as people do nor do they lose their hair. They may lose their eye lashes and whiskers. Medication can be given for vomiting and poor appetite. The side effects depend upon the regimen used. There are many different regimens. The one used will depend upon the oncologist, the tumor, severity, and your dog. Your dog will not be cured from the chemo. However his life maybe extended and hopefully more pain free.

• I had a dog on chemo for lymphoma,it put her into remission 2-3 times.Some of the drugs had no ill effects on her but with time,she needed chemo drugs with more severe side effects.My advise is to try it and ask your vet or a good friend to help decide when enough is enough.A tough decision to make on a pet you love.