will it hurt to give a 35 pound dog a heartgard heartworm pill for dogs 51-100lbs?

I have two dogs one is around 35 lbs and the other is 60lbs. I usually buy different sizes of heartworm pills and frontline treatment. I was just wondering how important following that was. would it work if i gave my 60lb dog a heartworm pill for dogs…

will it hurt to give a 35 pound dog a heartgard heartworm pill for dogs 51-100lbs?

I have two dogs one is around 35 lbs and the other is 60lbs. I usually buy different sizes of heartworm pills and frontline treatment. I was just wondering how important following that was. would it work if i gave my 60lb dog a heartworm pill for dogs…...
    General Dog Discussions : will it hurt to give a 35 pound dog a heartgard heartworm pill for dogs 51-100lbs?...

• will it hurt to give a 35 pound dog a heartgard heartworm pill for dogs 51-100lbs?

will it hurt to give a 35 pound dog a heartgard heartworm pill for dogs 51-100lbs? General Dog Discussions
      I have two dogs one is around 35 lbs and the other is 60lbs. I usually buy different sizes of heartworm pills and frontline treatment. I was just wondering how important following that was. would it work if i gave my 60lb dog a heartworm pill for dogs up to 50lbs. I dont want to hurt either of my dogs.

will it hurt to give a 35 pound dog a heartgard heartworm pill for dogs 51-100lbs? General Dog Discussions
    • i don't think you should give them the same pill because the more the dog weights the stronger the dose has to be and i think the 35lb dog could get very sick and possibly die. but ask a vet or someone more expierenced than me.

• I definately wouldn't. The dosages are based on what is the safe amount for that dogs body weight. By giving a stronger dosage than recommended I imagine it could be harmful. I wouldn't risk it.<3 Laura

• Would you take medication for someone heavier than you? Treat your dog the way you treat yourself with medicine. Always give the proper amount for the weight. It's possible the pill can be split, but call your vet to verify.

• Yes it will harm your dog. Most medication for animals /dogs is weight based and not guess work. Ask you vet or practice nurse to weigh the dog for you and advise you accordingly. Don't play the vet if you are not qualified. Love your dog/animals.