Looking for a good breed of herding dog?

I have goats and I'd like to buy/adopt a herding breed of dog to watch them, thanks!

I have goats and I'd like to buy/adopt a herding breed of dog to watch them, thanks!...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Looking for a good breed of herding dog?...

• Looking for a good breed of herding dog?

Looking for a good breed of herding dog? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have goats and I'd like to buy/adopt a herding breed of dog to watch them, thanks!

Looking for a good breed of herding dog? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Id say the Collie or the Shetland Sheepdog. They are smart and they have such a gorgeous coat and face. Or the Austrailian Shepherd cuz they have nice colors and eyes and great agility and are smart

• Are you looking for a herding dog or a guardian dog? Herding dogs herd, they don't guard. The commonly thought best herding breed in the world is the Border Collie, though some may disagree. Australian cattle dogs, Australian kelpies and Australian shepherds are also bred for herding and a well bred one will still retain plenty of natural herding instinct. Breeds such as the rough and smooth collie and Shetland sheepdogs have lost much of their natural herding instinct. Livestock guardian dogs such as Great Pyrenees, Anatolian Shepherds, Maremma, Akbash, Kuvasz ect. actually live with the flock and guard them as their own. They won't herd. They are large, powerful dogs that will kill any wild animals that attempt to attack their flock. I know someone with an Anatolian, simply a great guard dog. Great Pyrenees are the most commonly used, they are also excellent for livestock guarding. The others are pretty rare but considering they were bred specifically to guard flocks, they'd be very good at their jobs.Your question was a little confusing as to whether you're looking for a dog to herd, or simply watch and keep your goats safe from predators.

• As said:Border Collie- smartest breed of dog, bred to herd, "The Stare" which directs the sheep.Australian Shepherd- 5 or 7th smartest breed of dog, (Beautiful!!), amazing at agility, one of the top 3 herding dog.Or you can get a mix of the twoBoth these breeds need to be entertained or mentally stimulated at most times or may become destructive*warning* not all breeds live up to breed standards, they always need to be trained a little extra.

• Do you want a herding dog to herd, drive and pen them, or do you need a guardian dog to live with the goats and protect them from coyotes (and goat rustlers!)? Many goats do not take kindly to being herded and could prove to be too much of a handful for a Border Collie or Australian Shepherd. A cattle droving breed such as an Australian Cattle Dog (or heeler), Bouvier des Flandres, various Cur types from herding strains, or even a Rottweiler from herding stock (rare) would probably do better.If it's a guardian breed you want, consider Great Pyrenees, Turkish Kangal or Maremma Sheepdog. None of these breeds are suited for herding tasks.