Will a cat sleep in a dog house?

I have a stray cat that I feed and it stays outside most of the time (I have had him neutered). I do not let it stay in overnight because I don't like to deal with the litter box. It's getting cold outside and I was considering buying a dog house for…

I have a stray cat that I feed and it stays outside most of the time (I have had him neutered). I do not let it stay in overnight because I don't like to deal with the litter box. It's getting cold outside and I was considering buying a dog house for…...
    General Dog Discussions : Will a cat sleep in a dog house?...

• Will a cat sleep in a dog house?

Will a cat sleep in a dog house? General Dog Discussions
      I have a stray cat that I feed and it stays outside most of the time (I have had him neutered). I do not let it stay in overnight because I don't like to deal with the litter box. It's getting cold outside and I was considering buying a dog house for it to sleep in and I will put bedding inside for it. I am also going to buy one of those plastic "doors" you attach to the dog house to help keep the cold air out. Does anyone have any experiences with a cat sleeping in a dog house? Do you know if they make houses specifically for cats?

Will a cat sleep in a dog house? General Dog Discussions
    • The cats will LOVE you for the house. They don't recognize the difference between dog and cat houses so I'm sure he wont be offended. Thank you for being conscious of his needs. Regards KG

• Cats sleep were they wont when they want. I think that since it was a stay it probably knows of a goodd warm sleeping place. It is really not a good idea to trap it in a dog house if you buy one. I wouldnt waste your money though... get a big cardboard box instead put it upside down and cat a door into it. Put something heavy on it so it doesnt fly away.

• I have looked at small dogloos as possible outside housing for a cat. I don't know if the opening is too small for them to feel safe in though. I think they are quite sturdy and better insulated than a regular dog crate.If the weather is very cold where you are use straw on the flooring as it is an excellent insulator. Then you can put some soft bedding on top.The cat would certainly be better off in the house. The days are short now for many months to come and he would not be really protected from the cold even in a "house".As I have five cats and six litterboxes to deal with daily I just can't fathom that one box would be hard to manage. It's quite nice to have a warm, snuggly cat to have on your lap or near you on a cold or rainy winter's day or night.

• We have 2 dogs and 2 cats outside. Our cats sometimes sleep in the dog's boxes. They love it. They have lots of warm straw to cuddle up in. Yes they do make cats houses but you have to find a store that sells them..like a pet store or petco. Your best bet would be to get a small dog box and put a bunch of straw in it. He will love it. He will be fine outside.

• We have a similar experience. A year and a half ago a stray cat showed up starving at our door, so we started feeding him, and of course he stays around now. We couldn't afford to take in another cat (we have two already, and enough vet bills). But we didn't want him not to be taken care of.He did fine through the summer, but we worried about him in the winter. We picked up an old pet carrier at a thrift shop. It's not a big one, it holds in heat better that way. We put some old blankets inside it, and put some old blankets over the top, and covering the opening. We put it right out side our door on the porch (it's a covered porch). I don't recommend this, because it it could be a fire hazard, but I bought a heating pad and put it under the blankets on the bottom, and ran the cord inside the house. He stayed warm and cozy all winter! He's still here, so we're getting ready to set up his little warm home again this winter. I'm sure if you used enough blankets, and as long as the blankets stay dry, he will be fine without a heating pad in a small house of some kind. Keep it small, because the bigger the house, the more space to heat. Good luck! :)

• if you put it in an area he feels safe, possibly close to the house door and put bedding in along with maybe some kitty treats to get him to check it out he'll probably use it.

• While they DO make houses for cats, we just use a standard dog house with a snuggly-warm cat bed inside for the stray that seems to live in our backyard. When looking for cat bedding, look for the ones with the heat-reflective stuff inside ... they are much warmer than the kind without. We positioned the dog house so rain and wind wouldn't impact it too much, and we placed it UNDER a glass garden table to further protect from the rain. (We also keep his food covered, too.)Bless you for watching out for this furry little guy....purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Yes,they will sleep in them.They don't know that they are made for dogs.I have had dog houses out for stray cats for years,and they use them regularly.Just make sure it is not too big.A small house is better,as it helps to hold in the cat's body heat.Put some straw or a pillow case stuffed with cedar shavings and topped with a blanket in there for him.Entice him to go in by putting some catnip and some kitty treats(like Pounce)inside the house.And good for you for having him neutered.Hi,Harvie!