How to get my dog to start walking on a leash?

My dogs have never walked on a leash before because they live in a dog house outside. They are about ten years old. I really want to take my dog for a walk, but whenever I put the leash on them their tails drop and they won't start walking. Only when I…

My dogs have never walked on a leash before because they live in a dog house outside. They are about ten years old. I really want to take my dog for a walk, but whenever I put the leash on them their tails drop and they won't start walking. Only when I…...
    General Dog Discussions : How to get my dog to start walking on a leash?...

• How to get my dog to start walking on a leash?

How to get my dog to start walking on a leash? General Dog Discussions
      My dogs have never walked on a leash before because they live in a dog house outside. They are about ten years old. I really want to take my dog for a walk, but whenever I put the leash on them their tails drop and they won't start walking. Only when I push the leash really hard will it go a few steps. Please help!

How to get my dog to start walking on a leash? General Dog Discussions
    • Places like Petsmart and the ASPCA give puppy and dog training classes that are worth investing in. A good investment is a choke chain that slides easily and does NOT have barbs on it. When walking the dog hold the leash in both hands across your body with the dog on the left. Give the choke chain a quick jerk and release and say " Heel". Repeat for a while until he seems to get it. but you have to keep up the training every day. To sit Tell him/her sit and press quickly down on their hindquarters. Try to get them to do it without the pressure. To stay cover their sight of you by holding your hand a few inches from their eyes and say "Stay". They usually pick up on stay this way pretty quickly. Good Luck!

• Google 'leash pressure training' and 'focused healing.'Attach the leash to the dog and then let them drag it around all the time (at least when it is safe to do so) until they get so used to it that it becomes a normal thing to have it there. Alot of times the scenario starts to go downhill when the dog makes a big negative association with you walking towards them with a leash. This erases that, as all you have to do is pick the thing up and start training or walking. Your dog has learned to make a negative association with the leash on, which as you've guessed isn't normal with dogs who are raised around leashes from a younger age. They normally associate it with freedom and the outdoors and are happy to see it come out. Your dog does not make this association. Therefore it may help to remove the act of putting the leash on as a significant part of the scenario.