What is the most I should pay for a dog?

I know that there are people out there who are looking for a show dog or a dog to breed. These people are often willing to pay a lot for one with great blood lines, and bred by an excellent breeder. I want a dog that is healthy, has a good temperament,…

I know that there are people out there who are looking for a show dog or a dog to breed. These people are often willing to pay a lot for one with great blood lines, and bred by an excellent breeder. I want a dog that is healthy, has a good temperament,…...
    General Dog Discussions : What is the most I should pay for a dog?...

• What is the most I should pay for a dog?

What is the most I should pay for a dog? General Dog Discussions
      I know that there are people out there who are looking for a show dog or a dog to breed. These people are often willing to pay a lot for one with great blood lines, and bred by an excellent breeder. I want a dog that is healthy, has a good temperament, and is raised by a responsible breeder. However, I'm just looking for a pet. Nothing more. I found a few excellent breeders who are really into showing and their dogs have great blood lines. But they want around $1,500. Is that too much to pay for a dog that will only be a pet? Will it be worth it?For those of you who are telling me to get a pet from a shelter, that doesn't answer my question. I've asked various questions about dogs before on here, and have decided that a breeder is the best way to go for me. I'm looking to get a healthy Westie puppy. I never have seen one on the shelter websites in my area, or on petfinder. Puppy's alone are hard to find at shelters.I asked a few questions awhile ago concerning reputable breeders, I and have learned that people who advertise their dogs in a paper are not the best way to go, and instead I should check out an upcoming dog show, and ask people who show Westies. Like I said earlier, these people are the ones who sell their dogs for high prices.So I'm rather confused. I've been told to go this route to find a reputable breeder, but now I'm being told that this would be too much money. There's now way that I can get a good quality dog from a good breeder for a couple hundred dollars, or even from a shelter.

What is the most I should pay for a dog? General Dog Discussions
    • Try an animal shelter. There are often some mighty fine animals there. Mixed breed dogs also avoid many of the genetic problem that pure breeds can have.I've had dogs all my life and do very well with mixed breed rescued animals.

• you can get a fine mixed breed...often the best pets for about 1-200..depends on the breed of the parents......I usually pay about 5-600 per dog but I only have pure bred colies or German SHepherds...but those are my personal breed picks...what you want is based on family size,kids age,amount of room they will have,inside or outside dog?..etc....never,EVER plan on leaving your dog chained in the yard....if you have to do that,you dont need a dog...

• no its not and you shouldnt be buying a dog from a breeder anyways NOTHING IS WRONG with the dogs at the pound that are going to be put to sleep for no reason why dont you think about this

• to some people its always worth it. really depends on the breed. for that much make sure you get some kind of health guarantee. like if it turned out to be really sick or something a month later you could get your money back. that sort of thing

• In my opinion, it is WAY too much for a dog. I have a full breed Jack Russell Terror and he was insane the first couple of years we had him.Luckly, we got him from friends that paid the big bucks for him. So, it really just depends on the dog and not the price. My friend found a dog wandering the side of the road, and that dog is soooooo sweet and well behaved and was a stray. So, just use your best judegment and look at all your options before you invest.

• Go to your local animal shelter, they don't charge very much and usually their shot and vaccinations are up too date.I think every animal deserves too live.

• Yes and no. Probably yes, but it really, really depends on the breed. Some will commonly run you $1,500, but some will be $200 or less. For instance, $1,500 would be an astronomical price for a Lab, but a pretty reasonable price for a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. What breed are we talking about?

• For a pet? That's pricy. Most show potential pups being sold to a show home I've looked around at are sold for that price.In my opinion - $600 through $800 isn't bad for a pet dog when it comes from a good, quality breeder. But it can sometimes vary from breed to breed.

• you should get one from the shelter, that does not have a home. Thats what I do, there are some GREAT dogs in there that sometimes they don't find thier perfect home andthey get put asleep.=[Do the right thing, please?

• its a really hard question to answer on my opinion. But i do believe its a lot money to pay for a pet. its hard to say it is but i think if u look harder u might find another pet that is still healthy,and so on for cheaper.also remember after u buy a dog, you must take it to the vet, its food, and hopefully it wont happen but what if the animal gets sick?i have a dog and its alot of money. well im not trying to tell u to not buy a dog, cause there are a man bestfriend and there so cute. but think moenywise before.so good luck.

• Here is the deal. What kind of a dog do you want, and what do you really want it for? $1500 dollars is not much money to pay for the following. You want a dog that will be a certain size when grown, no surpises here. You want to know the dog's temperament from the get go and what he will be like as an adult. No surpises here. You want to know what you can expect out of that dog in terms of social behavior, training ability etc. You want to now that there will be a health guarantee on the dog. Things like hip problems, genetic issues, do come up and they can be very costly, you want to know that a breeder will replace a dog if need be. Finally, you want companionship for the next 10 years or so. Divide $1500 by 10 and see if that money is worth it?

• If you want a purebred with championship bloodlines then expect to pay $600+ If you want a pet only dog go to a shelter the adoption fees are less than $200