Is there a way to determine my dog's heritage with blood testing?

People have always commented how my dog has a "Lion-like" face. I myself agree that he has a unique face that I've never seen in any other dog. He's a mutt that we rescued from a shelter, and we don't know what kind of mixed breed he is. Is it possible…

People have always commented how my dog has a "Lion-like" face. I myself agree that he has a unique face that I've never seen in any other dog. He's a mutt that we rescued from a shelter, and we don't know what kind of mixed breed he is. Is it possible…...
    General Dog Discussions : Is there a way to determine my dog's heritage with blood testing?...

• Is there a way to determine my dog's heritage with blood testing?

Is there a way to determine my dog's heritage with blood testing? General Dog Discussions
      People have always commented how my dog has a "Lion-like" face. I myself agree that he has a unique face that I've never seen in any other dog. He's a mutt that we rescued from a shelter, and we don't know what kind of mixed breed he is. Is it possible to get my dog's blood drawn, and tested to determine what kind of dog he is? I'd like to know so I can get one just like him when he dies.

Is there a way to determine my dog's heritage with blood testing? General Dog Discussions
    • You can have a DNA test that will tell you some of the breeds in your dog. However, these tests are not always reliable. But getting another pup with the same combination of breeds isn't going to be like your dog. Most likely he is more than 2 breeds and so you have a multitude of behaviors mixed together. Even his own litter mates probably don't act like him. That is the problem with getting a mixed breed. When the breeds 'mix' genetically you never know what the pups are going to get from each parent, or grandparent, or great grandparent. This is why many people only want purebred dogs. When they get a dog, they have a specific set of behaviors in mind and with a purebred they can more reliably predict that they will get them.