What are all the herding dogs?

I need one that doesn't shed bad, i am willing to brush it but my dad will only let me get one if it doesn't shed really bad like border collies...IT WILL BE FOR MY FARM, TO HERD MY NEW COWS! please no bad remarks, like you shouldn't get a dog if you…

I need one that doesn't shed bad, i am willing to brush it but my dad will only let me get one if it doesn't shed really bad like border collies...IT WILL BE FOR MY FARM, TO HERD MY NEW COWS! please no bad remarks, like you shouldn't get a dog if you…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What are all the herding dogs?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What are all the herding dogs?

What are all the herding dogs? Dog Breed Discussions
      I need one that doesn't shed bad, i am willing to brush it but my dad will only let me get one if it doesn't shed really bad like border collies...IT WILL BE FOR MY FARM, TO HERD MY NEW COWS! please no bad remarks, like you shouldn't get a dog if you wouldn't brush it all the time of dumb stuff like that!

What are all the herding dogs? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Herding breeds include the following:An Australian Kelpie working cattle, Woolbrook, New South Wales. * Aidi * Akbash Dog * Australian Cattle Dog * Australian Kelpie * Australian Koolie * Australian Shepherd * Australian Stumpy Tail Cattle Dog * Azores Cattle Dog * Basque Shepherd Dog * Bearded Collie * Beauceron * Belgian Shepherd Dog (Groenendael, Laekenois, Tervueren, and Malinois) * Bergamasco * Berger Picard * Berger Blanc Suisse * Blue Lacy * Border Collie * Bouvier des Flandres * Briard * Canaan Dog * Catahoula Leopard Dog * Catalan Sheepdog * Central Asia Shepherd Dog * Collie breeds (see specific breed) * Croatian Sheepdog * Cur (Blackmouth Cur, etc) * Dutch Shepherd * English Shepherd * East European Shepherd * Entlebucher Sennenhund * Farm Collie/Farm Shepherd * German Coolie or Koolie * German Shepherd Dog * Greater Swiss Mountain Dog * Huntaway * Icelandic Sheepdog * King Shepherd * Keeshond * Kerry Blue Terrier * Koolie or German Coolie * Lancashire Heeler * Lapponian Herder * Maremma Sheepdog * McNab * Miniature Australian Shepherd * Mudi * Newfoundland * Norwegian Buhund * Old English Sheepdog * Pembroke Welsh Corgi * Picardy Shepherd * Polish Lowland Sheepdog * Polish Tatra Sheepdog * Portuguese Sheepdog * Puli * Pumi (dog) * Pyrenean Shepherd * Reindeer Herder * Rottweiler * Romanian Carpathian Shepherd Dog * Rough Collie * Samoyed * Saarloos Wolfhound * Schapendoes * Schipperke * Scotch Collie * Shetland Sheepdog * Shiloh Shepherd * Smooth Collie * Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier * Spanish Water Dog * Swedish Vallhund * Tibetan Terrier * Welsh Corgis: o Cardigan Welsh Corgi o Pembroke Welsh Corgi * Welsh Sheepdog * White Swiss Shepherd

• Herding dog breeds developed in response to local situations and needs. In many cases, the work required versatility, while in other cases there were particular conditions that led to some specialization. Conditions could change over time. The Way They Work provides a view of many of the tasks of stock-working dogs.Some of the herding breeds have pages galore, others have at most a mention in passing on a general list of dogs breeds. I have tried to include pages that provide information or the most direct links to pages with such information. If you know of a page which should be included on this list, or come across any broken links with regard to any of links set out below, please let me know. * APPENZELLER MOUNTAIN DOG: * Appenzeller Mountain Dog -- a Swiss cattle herder AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOG: * Australian Cattle Dogs On-Line -- Australian Cattle Dogs On-Line - information about the breed, with many helpful Livestock Links. * Australian Cattle Dog Club of America * Everything Cattle Dog * ACD Spotlight - Australian Cattle Dog On-Line Magazine AUSTRALIAN KELPIE: * The Australian Kelpie (Dogs Down Under) -- information from Australia * The Australian Kelpie * Working Kelpie Council of Australia * North American Australian Kelpie Registry, Inc AUSTRALIAN SHEPHERD: * The Working Aussie Source dedicated to the working Aussie stockdog * Australian Shepherd Club of America * Australian Shepherd Club UK * A View of Australian Shepherd History AUSTRALIAN STUMPY TAIL CATTLE DOG: * Australian Stumpy Tail Cattle Dog Club of NSW BASQUE SHEPHERD: * Perro de Pastor Vasco/Euskal Artzain Txakurra -- breed information and photos (in Spanish) BEARDED COLLIE: * Bearded Collie Club of America * Bearded Collie Herding Association BEAUCERON: * North American Beauceron Club * Beauceron Club of Canada BELGIANS: In the United States, the Belgians are considered separate breeds by the American Kennel Club. In other countries, and by the United Kennel Club, all four are considered varieties of one breed. * United Belgian Shepherd Dog Association BELGIAN LAEKENOIS: * American Belgian Laekenois Association BELGIAN MALINOIS: * American Belgian Malinois Club BELGIAN SHEEPDOG (GROENENDAEL): * Belgian Sheepdog Club of America * The Belgian as a Stockdog BELGIAN TERVUREN: * American Belgian Tervuren Club BERGAMASCO SHEEPDOG: * Bergamasco Sheepdog Club of America * Bergamasco Sheepdog Association of Canada * The Bergamasco -- a sheepdog from Northern Italy BERGER PICARD: * Berger Picard -- an old herding breed of France * Berger Picard Club of America * Berger Picard (in German and English, with photos) BERNESE MOUNTAIN DOG: * Bernese Mountain Dog Home Page BORDER COLLIE: * American Border Collie Network * United States Border Collie Club "dedicated to preserving the Border Collie as a working stockdog" * Border Collie Museum -- articles about the history and lore of the Border Collie and related breeds * Border Collies in Herding BOUVIER DES FLANDRES: * Bouvier des Flandres * American Bouvier des Flandres Club BRIARD: * Briard Home Page * Briard Club of America CANAAN DOG: * Canaan Dog Club of America * Israel Canaan Dog Club of America Cão De Fila De São Miguel (AZORES CATTLE DOG): * Kennel Auto de Fé CATAHOULA LEOPARD DOG: * Catahoula Home Page CATALONIAN SHEEPDOG (GOS D'ATURA): * The Catalan Sheepdog working group COLLIE (ROUGH AND SMOOTH): * Collie Club of America * American Working Collie Association -- promoting the working abilities of Rough and Smooth Collies * Keystone Collie Club: Eastern Pennsylvania, USA COOLIE (see GERMAN COOLIE, KOOLIE) DUTCH SHEPHERD: * American Dutch Shepherd Club ENGLISH SHEPHERD: * The English Shepherd -- An American Breed ENTLEBUCHER SENNENHUND: * Entlebucher breed information and photos * Entlebucher Sennenhund GERMAN COOLIE: * International German Coolie Society and Registry -- an old Australian stockdog breed GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG: * German Shepherd FAQ -- information about the breed * German Shepherd Dog Club of America GREATER SWISS MOUNTAIN DOG: * Greater Swiss Mountain Dog Club of America * Greater Swiss Mountain Dog ICELANDIC SHEEPDOG: * Icelandic Sheepdog Association of America * Canadian Icelandic Sheepdog Club * The Icelandic Sheepdog KOOLIE: * Koolie -- one of Australia's oldest working breeds * Koolie Club of Australia * Working Koolie Association Australia --founded to promot

• i own rough collies they also have smooth collies my rough collie's only shed once a year and when they do as long as you brush them their is not much fur that sheds i was in shock my self and the lady next door to me has border collies and man they shed more then i thought and way way way way way more then rough collies she has to brush out her borders every week

• Dogs in the American Kennel Club 'Herding Group areAustralian Cattle Dog Australian Shepherd Bearded CollieBeauceron Belgian Malinois Belgian SheepdogBelgian Tervuren Border Collie Bouvier des FlandresBriard Canaan Dog Cardigan Welsh CorgiCollie German Shepherd Dog Old English SheepdogPembroke Welsh Corgi Polish Lowland Sheepdog PuliShetland Sheepdog Swedish Vallhund

• I don't think knowing every dog that was ever bred for herding is helpful. You need to know good working dogs for a ranch situation for COWS that don't shed which is much more specialized than 'all the herding dogs'. Keep in mind that ALL dogs shed. If someone can't deal with that then i would recommend an outdoor kennel for the dog (you cannot let herding dogs run loose). For dogs with shorter coats that would work appropriately in a cattle ranching situations I would first recommend a smooth border collie bred for cattle work. Unlike rough coats, the smooth coated border collie has very short hair which makes their shedding harder to notice. A border bred for cattle will have the toughness it takes to work cattle outside a trial situation.My second suggestion would be a Hangin Tree Cowdog. They were developed to work cattle on the range and have a short, slick coat for that purpose and have a short stubby tail. To be registered as a Hangin Tree dog, the dog must provide proof of willingness to hit heads and heels on cattle - otherwise the dog cannot be registered. Not necessary if you're only trialling but essential to have this type of willingness in a working ranch dog. For more info on this type of dog, visit http://www.garyericssoncowdogs.com/http://www.hangintreecowdog.net/http://www.lavellefarms.com/issue3.pdfMy third choice would be an australian shepherd but you have noted that you prefer no shedding and aussies don't have a slick coated version - yet.My fourth choice would be an australian cattle dog. They're tough, willing and have a lot of endurance - but not a lot of speed. If i couldn't have one of these, i'd skip the dog and just get a 4 wheeler. The time and effort to train another breed of dog to do this work would not be worth a rancher's time to train them.