Can't seem to get control on our walks, advice would be most appreciated!?

Hello I have a 17 week akbash/anatolian shepherd/malamute/lab puppy who is quite a challenge to walk on leash. So It would be nice to hear from others who may have experience with dogs who can help give me some advice on what ever it is I'm doing poorly…

Hello I have a 17 week akbash/anatolian shepherd/malamute/lab puppy who is quite a challenge to walk on leash. So It would be nice to hear from others who may have experience with dogs who can help give me some advice on what ever it is I'm doing poorly…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Can't seem to get control on our walks, advice would be most appreciated!?...

• Can't seem to get control on our walks, advice would be most appreciated!?

Can't seem to get control on our walks, advice would be most appreciated!? Dog Breed Discussions
      Hello I have a 17 week akbash/anatolian shepherd/malamute/lab puppy who is quite a challenge to walk on leash. So It would be nice to hear from others who may have experience with dogs who can help give me some advice on what ever it is I'm doing poorly and what I can do to make our walks more enjoyable. Here is a typical day for us:I walk her to the dog park everyday on leash (15 minutes to dog park) and we usually spend about half and hour to an hour exploring the penisulas and meeting other dogs off leash. Off leash she is great, she stays by my side + usually listens when I call her and is polite with other dogs + people. (occasionally she tries to steal a mitt or jumps up because she's a puppy and when I ask her to get down or stay down she listens) Once we try to leave and I attach the leash we will walk a short distance and she will throw a tantrum. First she bites the leash and starts growling and then she jumps up on me and tears at my jacket. I will use a firm sound to let her no I disagree with the behaviour and I get her to sit. Then I usually use the scent of a treat to lead her at my side a ways and then I give it to her if she follows nicely. Sometimes this is enough and she starts to trot along my side and all is well. Other days it's such a challenge to get her attention and she starts to shred at my clothes and arms. When I just can't get her to stop I will usually pick her up holding her scruff and hind legs, while keeping her close to my body until she calms down and then we will try again. I am a little person and she is already 35 pounds I can't pick her up forever! I'm just not sure how to gain her respect or what I am doing that sets her off. I try to be calm confident with my head up and shoulders back. I keep the leash short and slack. In the home we have lots of rules and boundries and she listens pretty well for a puppy. I will keep the leash on her when she's walking around the house so she gets use to it and it doesn't seem to bother her. Should I ignore her leash biting as not to give her attention when she does it. Or should I stop and try to discipline her when she does this? Either way I have had her become reactive and agressive. Advice?We will be taking her to puppy classes but until then any friendly advice or tips would be appreciated. About to walk her.Just got back from an hour long walk with Kona. She was perfect, some days are just really easy with her and some days are not...one difference today was that I was in a really happy mood and the sun was shining...she probably doesn't like to be attached to me if I'm feeling out of sorts. I just need to make sure I am in the right state before I take her I guess. I also had the leash really loose today and allowed her a bit more freedom. She's a puppy after all and I probably should focus on making sure she has a good time not just on rules. Thanks for your advice!

Can't seem to get control on our walks, advice would be most appreciated!? Dog Breed Discussions
    • If you can't get control at 17 weeks you have bigger problems coming.Start working with an experienced trainer that can teach you what you need to do You need more help than advise on an e-site.

• Spray your leash with bitter apple or some other type of nasty tasting spray. It jumps up to mouth an bite you, give her a sharp downward correction and a firm NO!. Have her sit so that you can praise. You need to do this every time that she goes up to mouth and jump. For her leash tantrums let her pitch a fit. Make sure that you have a good fitting collar on her that she cannot slip out of. When she takes a step forward praise her. She's fighting the leash because you are giving into her and picking her up. a good training class will help you alot with these issues.

• Google NILIF training and Small Dog Syndrome. Part of the problem may simply be an overall miscommunication regarding just who wears the pants around here :PTurn leashing up into something fun. Give her a special treat she ONLY gets when it's time to go home. After a while it will become habit and you can simply tell her 'good girl' as she waits quietly to be leashed up.If she's growing frustrated at having to leave she may need more exercise.At her age she's still pretty young and some of this is just something you have to live with, probably for the next 2-3 years.

• First off I highly recommend NOT going to the dog park with your pup. Dogs at dog parks are generally unstable, and a pup can learn bad behaviors from unbalanced, excited, or aggressive dogs. So, no dog park for her. It seems she's already picking up bad habits so why continue to allow her to continue? The thing about puppy classes, and basic obedience classes...if done properly...is that the instructor will teach you what behaviors are acceptable and those that aren't when dogs play. They will teach you how to prevent the behaviors you are describing, and give you the tools necessary to raise your pup right. As of right now, you're setting your pup up to fail by taking her to the dog park. You also have to realize that the "breed" mix you've described is more than likely going to be a very large, powerful dog that could turn out to not be alright with other dogs or strangers if not socialized and trained properly from an early age. What you're describing doesn't sound aggressive, but it does sound like a dog who has no bite inhibition nor any training/manners. Puppy classes and basic obedience classes are a MUST so get her plugged in as soon as you can. If at all possible avoid Pet Smart or any box store classes as these aren't the best quality, and some are biased against certain breeds. Find a vet clinic or professional near you that offers classes if you can.As a trainer I make sure that there is always a balanced and well mannered adult dog in my classes because a well mannered adult dog can help teach the pups proper behavior, calm insecure pups, and produce a stable environment for all in attendance. Not only that, but the adult dog can offer corrections if necessary to pups who are overly mouthy, playing too hard, etc. Doggy see doggy do in many cases. I have conducted classes without the use of a balanced adult, but I do prefer to have one present.When working with your pup in the meantime you need to make sure you're not bribing your dog with treats. If she knows a behavior yet refuses to perform without the presence of a treat...you're bribing her. So long as a lure doesn't become a bribe in training treats or toys can be very beneficial. Phasing them out, however, is crucial. You need to teach her that coming when you call her doesn't mean her play is necessarily going to end. Right now, when you call her and snap the leash on her, you're teaching her that fun time is over, and she doesn't want to leave so she throws a tantrum. You need to practice so she doesn't continue or get worse with this behavior. Gotcha and go exercises are one way to help prevent the tanturm or catch me issues that arise from dogs not wanting to be taken away from whatever they're doing. You call the dog to you, grab their collar, make them sit, then release them to do what it was they were doing before. Do this frequently and you'll eliminate quite a few issues including aversion to having the collar grabbed. I've seen plenty of dogs bite because they have a negative association with someone grabbing their collar.When she throws a temper tantrum on leash you are going to just have to "ride it out" until she tires herself out, and is capable of actually focusing on something. When a dog starts thrashing around, they are NOT capable of thinking, and you're wasting your breath and energy in trying to fight out the rush. Just be patient, and wait for her to calm down. When she does calm down, praise her for being calm, and immediately move forward with her on leash or ask her to perform a certain behavior.The fact she is behaving in this way at 17 wks. lets me know she's not going to be an "easy" dog. She's going to be one you're going to have to stay one step ahead of in order to have a well mannered dog. Please make sure to get plugged in with a quality trainer because you're definitely going to need one.

• You need ot get the gentle leader. It's a type of leash. The first few minutes your dog will be bucking and will hate it but after 5 minutes or so you will see a miracle!!! It has worked wonders on my dog and does not hurt them like those horrible choke collars.

• Prong collars and are not cruel when used properly, their made to get though all that thick fur she has, and get her attention. If she is also trying to grab the leash you might try a head halter. It fits around the back of her head, then loops around her nose. It will also stop any pulling. Hope it helps!

• Maybe you should concentrate on just walking the dog, before taking he/she back to the dog park. She is obviously angry when you think it's time to leave, like a child, because she is having so much fun with the other dogs. So, instead, mayby consider working up that point and just walking her around the neighborhood for 30-45 minutes to get her energy out. Maybe just avoiding the bad behavior will make her forget that it was a privelage at one time. Instead, maybe you can invite a dog you know over for a playdate, or have a playdate at a different location that isn't the dog park until she can control herself on the walks, on a leash.