Do you think a Puppy would know its mom?

I have a puppy who is 1year old...it was seperated from its mother at 8wks I have the oppurtunity now to adopt the mother. Do you think this is a good idea? How do you think they will act together? Is it possible that they will know or recognize each…

I have a puppy who is 1year old...it was seperated from its mother at 8wks I have the oppurtunity now to adopt the mother. Do you think this is a good idea? How do you think they will act together? Is it possible that they will know or recognize each…...
    General Dog Discussions : Do you think a Puppy would know its mom?...

• Do you think a Puppy would know its mom?

Do you think a Puppy would know its mom? General Dog Discussions
      I have a puppy who is 1year old...it was seperated from its mother at 8wks I have the oppurtunity now to adopt the mother. Do you think this is a good idea? How do you think they will act together? Is it possible that they will know or recognize each other after being seperated for 10mos?

Do you think a Puppy would know its mom? General Dog Discussions
    • He will probably not think, "Mommy!" But, (s)he will recognize her as another dog and as a female. If both dogs get along with other dogs, then adopting is no problem--just be sure to get both fixed BEFORE adopting, especially if the puppy is male. They will breed if possible. If both are female, then you will be miserable when both are in heat...

• I have a father - son team of labs. The father met the son at 4 months, when we got him. They did not recognize each other, have completely different personalities but are the best of friends. They will not recognize each other.

• Yes I would get her. It is hard to say since he was 8 weeks. I had a Great Dane who had pups. found a home for 1 pup when she was 3 months old. I got her back 2 years later and they got along great.

• i think it will know becuz our dog had pups about 1 yr. ago and we gave them away to our cousin in Vegas they are 1 and a 1/2 yrs. old and i took my dog and they were having fun and they licked each other al;ot becuz of the scentthat the mothers leave on them. ( we gave them away when they were 1 month old.) ( do adopt the mother)

• I gave my sister a puppy and kept the mother,when my sister came to town the following summer My doghustled her puppy into the lilac bushes and laid on her and barked at me lol I don't know if they recognized each other but we thot they did ! they played all week end I think you should adopt the mom!

• Yes, it is possible. My Golden Retriever "knew" or at least reacting very strongly, wriggling and even submissively peeing when she saw her sire when she was several years old.