Can you teach a old dog new tricks?

Ok i have had this dog for 2years i want to teach it some new tricks but I was to young to teach all the tricks I want to teach her now, She knows Sit, Stay , Jump and that is it and I want to teach her Lay, Shake hand, Spin, and if you have any new…

Ok i have had this dog for 2years i want to teach it some new tricks but I was to young to teach all the tricks I want to teach her now, She knows Sit, Stay , Jump and that is it and I want to teach her Lay, Shake hand, Spin, and if you have any new…...
    General Dog Discussions : Can you teach a old dog new tricks?...

• Can you teach a old dog new tricks?

Can you teach a old dog new tricks? General Dog Discussions
      Ok i have had this dog for 2years i want to teach it some new tricks but I was to young to teach all the tricks I want to teach her now, She knows Sit, Stay , Jump and that is it and I want to teach her Lay, Shake hand, Spin, and if you have any new trick please tell me.New Question I did not want too waste two many points So, we also just got a dog that was miss cared of and it is vrey scared of almost very one so i was wounding if you can help me make it like me HELP!

Can you teach a old dog new tricks? General Dog Discussions
    • dude man, get spell check. You can teach a 10 year old dog new tricks. It's all in the technique. The scared dog just needs to learn to trust you. The worst thing you can do is baby it. You have to stay calm assertive and be the pack leader!

• Question #1 YES! Absloutely you can teach her tricks. 2 years is still very young and there should be no problem with her.Question #2The dog will have to develop trust in people again. When you have company over, have them give her treats. Also, if anyone is wanting to pet her of give her attention, have them get on her level. It will be much less threatening and intimidating for her when they come down to her level. She probably always be leary of new people, but once she knows your close family and friends, she should relax more. Don't raise your hands or voice, as that will just confirm her fears. Patience, kindness and love will prevail.

• ok, new tricks, YES...if your dog sits, down and roll over are very easy. Take a treat, ask the dog to sit, and move the treat down in front of it and away as you say "down"...the dog will naturally lie down. When it has learned down...move the treat over a shoulder, and it'll naturally roll. same thing with anything else...get the head to go where you want, and the body follows.new dog liking you? this is going to sound really strange, but i just got a foster dog with the same problem. What works is to NOT try to make friends with the dog. Walk it, feed it, give it water and treats. DOn't try to coax it to you or try to cuddle it. TRYING to make it like you gives it something to resist. If you don't try...you'll be amazed. DOgs are social animale...it'll come to you! Remamber in a dog pack the leader doesn't try to charm the other dogs...the other dogs try to charm the leader. YOU control the food, the water, the treats and the walks...tryst me...relax, quit trying, and it'll come to you.