Should I have my 1 1/2year old Maltese obedience trained?

My dog barks excessively, pees and poops everywhere, and will not come when she is called?

My dog barks excessively, pees and poops everywhere, and will not come when she is called?...
    General Dog Discussions : Should I have my 1 1/2year old Maltese obedience trained?...

• Should I have my 1 1/2year old Maltese obedience trained?

Should I have my 1 1/2year old Maltese obedience trained? General Dog Discussions
      My dog barks excessively, pees and poops everywhere, and will not come when she is called?

Should I have my 1 1/2year old Maltese obedience trained? General Dog Discussions
    • Well, obedience training should help you both. I recommend positive reinforcement training. You will learn how to control excessive barking and how to get your dog to come when called. As far as not being house-broken... that is something you need to sort out. Sounds as if your dog has no respect for you.

• For the barking get a spray bottle fill it with water.. Next time she goes to bark spray her on the back of her head between the ears and tell her NO BARK... Do NOT spray her in the face.. As for the peeing and pooping?? Don't allow her full access to the house... Put her outside as often as you can to remind her the bathroom is outside and not inside. Make sure you clean up where she does go with a bleach to get rid of the smell and she won't pick up her old scents...You need to retrain her.

• I would definitely reccomend obedience training!!! I have seen remarkable results,and your dog is not too old. smaller breeds are alot harder to train so dont feel bad, just find a good trainer!!

• All dogs (and owners!) can benefit from obedience training. But training isn't just a series of classes, it's an ongoing thing for the life of the dog. You can take classes to learn the basics, but you'll need to reinforce it at home.Sounds like yours could also benefit from some crate-training to get past the housebreaking issue! Good Luck!

• Not as simple as you suggest, but, 'yes'.The key is that YOU need trained to give the dog the correct signals so she UNDERSTANDS what you want of her. Dogs generally aim to please, but, as humans are such contradictory beings, it is very difficult for them.So you should BOTH attend training classes, so you can learn and grow together =)

• Yes, yes, yes! As a former Maltese owner I fully understand that this breed is very stubborn and independent. They require a lot of work and if you don't nip some of these behaviors in the bud soon, the harder they will be to fix in the future. Contact your humane society, local Petco or Petsmart, kennel club, or doggie daycare for training classes. Good luck!

• Obediance training will not do the whole Job. She's not a puppy anymore and these are not accadents in the house, she simply does not see any reason why she shouldn't do what she wants. She needs more dicaplin! From the moment puppies are born, the mother sets rules, boundaries and limitations. She tells her puppies how far they can go away from the den and when to eat. She walks with them, and on that walk she is the leader. You should be doing the exact same thing with your dog, you are the owner not the other way around.... right? You have to remember that your pet is a DOG not a child. With well set rules and boundries the puppy grows into a dog with a good mind set. And once it's grown it looks to the leader to set these rules.If your dog is doing something you don't like, you have to imediantly correct her.Now, this so-called nuisance barking, is your dog’s way of sending you a distress signal.Somewhere her needs as an animal are not being met. Is her world anchored by a leader who projects calm-assertive energy? Are you walking with her every day, exercising her body and her mind? Is she living a balanced life?If nuisance barking is a problem, consider these issues to find a solution. It’s the best way to show real love for your dog.DicaplinExerciseThen Affection is the key....~Good Luck