What is this bump on the inside of my dog's mouth?

My 4-6 year old(unsure since we got her from the shelter, we've had her for about 3years)German shepherd/lab mix has a bump on her gum next to her tooth. Its pretty hard and it is the same color as her gums. I will be taking her to the vet but I am…

My 4-6 year old(unsure since we got her from the shelter, we've had her for about 3years)German shepherd/lab mix has a bump on her gum next to her tooth. Its pretty hard and it is the same color as her gums. I will be taking her to the vet but I am…...
    General Dog Discussions : What is this bump on the inside of my dog's mouth?...

• What is this bump on the inside of my dog's mouth?

What is this bump on the inside of my dog's mouth? General Dog Discussions
      My 4-6 year old(unsure since we got her from the shelter, we've had her for about 3years)German shepherd/lab mix has a bump on her gum next to her tooth. Its pretty hard and it is the same color as her gums. I will be taking her to the vet but I am anxious to know what it may be and what to expect at the vet. ><;

What is this bump on the inside of my dog's mouth? General Dog Discussions
    • If your dog develops an unusual lump under his neck or in his mouth, it could be a sign of saliva gland infection. Another sign may be drooling from the mouth, or trouble chewing or swallowing. Never dismiss this, always take your dog to the vet for early diagnosis. Early detection of any ailment gives your dog a better chance of a full recovery.Salivary gland infections form from a bacterial infection of the salivary glands. These glands produce saliva, which breaks the starch down into sugar molecules helping the dog's ability to chew and swallow food easier from the moisture. This aids with easier digestion of his food. A dog has three pairs of these glands. The two biggest ones are in the tissues beneath the skin on either side of the cheek, and in front of the ears and over the jaw. The two smaller glands are on either side of the jaw at the back of the mouth. The other two are under the floor of the mouth.The dog's saliva works as a mouth wash by cleaning out the bacterial food particles. This helps keep the mouth fresh and clean reducing the risk of infection.The dog's brain controls the amount of stimuli for the salivation. Some dogs will salivate throughout the home, through anxiety from the sounds of thunder from a storm.Zygomatic salivary gland diseaseThis salivary gland rests just beneath the floor of the dog's eye. When this gland is infected, it could start a tumor growth, which pushes the eye ford. Luckily, this disease in the salivary gland is not a common one in dogs.SymptomsSwelling of the conjunctivaDischarge from the eye or red eyeProblem closing the eyelidsPain when eating foodVisual impairmentfeverCauses of salivary cystsLeaks from the ducts into the tissues within the mouth cause salivary cysts. If the saliva ducts bruised, it could swell and close off the duct. Large lumps or fluid filled cysts can form under the lower jaw, or inside the dog's mouth. Some of the lumps may not all be caused from salivary glands. An abscess, bad teeth, or tumors may show the same symptoms.Symptoms of salivary cystsYou will notice the salivary cyst as a large swelling under the jaw at the base of the dog's neck or under the tongue. The dog could have a problem with eating or drinking as well.Treatment of salivary cystsSome of these infections are treatable; in other circumstances, it is not always successful. Surgery may be the best option to remove the cyst completely.If you suspect any infection, cyst, or notice any discomfort with your dog's normal behavior, contact your veterinary doctor immediately.