Question about another dog already have a 8 year old Yorkie?

I have a 8 year old Yorkie that is not fixed, I was thinking about getting another dog. I was wondering if this is a good idea. Should I get another male or a female, should I have my Yorkie fixed before I bring another dog into the house, what kind of…

I have a 8 year old Yorkie that is not fixed, I was thinking about getting another dog. I was wondering if this is a good idea. Should I get another male or a female, should I have my Yorkie fixed before I bring another dog into the house, what kind of…...
    General Dog Discussions : Question about another dog already have a 8 year old Yorkie?...

• Question about another dog already have a 8 year old Yorkie?

Question about another dog already have a 8 year old Yorkie? General Dog Discussions
      I have a 8 year old Yorkie that is not fixed, I was thinking about getting another dog. I was wondering if this is a good idea. Should I get another male or a female, should I have my Yorkie fixed before I bring another dog into the house, what kind of dog should I get that would be a good match for my Yorkie? I would like to stay in the small breeds, was thinking about a Caviler King Charles I hear that they are a calm, well adaptable breed. Any information on this would help, thank you in advance for all of your answers!I have a male Yorkie now

Question about another dog already have a 8 year old Yorkie? General Dog Discussions
    • Get her fixed - Females that are not fixed can be prone to cancers, not to mention pregnancy. If your getting a male, defitely have her fixed before hand. having an intact male around an 8year old intact Female is just like playing with fire. If she gets pregnant, the chances are she'll most likely die giving birth.Cavalier King Charles Spaniel sounds good, I'd choose an older one though if I were you. Perhaps a 1-3year old one, a young pup may be too boisterous for your old lady.ADD:apologies, I thought you had a female dog. Anyway, get him fixed. When an intact male comes in contact with another intact male, they most likely fight. Get him neutered then I'd suggest you get a female companion.

• It would probably be a good idea to have both dogs be fixed, even if you are getting another male. Since your Yorkie still is intact, he has a lot of testosterone in his system and that can make him want to dominate another dog. If you fix him about a month before you get the new dog, most of his testosterone will be gone. If you wanted to get a little girl, I would definitely fix your Yorkie. He will move heaven and earth to get to her when she is in heat, and you will have to keep them separate. Neither dog will be happy with this arrangement, and you will most likely end up with pups. If you do go with getting another male, the choice to fix is up to you. Some people believe that all dogs must be fixed, and it does really help their chances of not getting certain diseases, but if there is not going to be a chance of your Yorkie impregnating a dog, he doesn't necessarily have to get neutered.

• It's important for the dog you have now to get him neutered - for his health. Given that he has been king of the world for this long, I would seriously question bringing another dog into it. If you are thinking of doing it for him, it won't be. His nose will be quite bent out of shape, and I would expect there to be a Pee War, no matter who came into his life. If you do choose to adopt another dog, have this one neutered and wait until his hormones have truly subsided - that will take a while. And then make sure you let him have the last say in the adoption selection. If he does not absolutely adore a new dog - when it is at your home, and not at another location, then you can let them in. But keep in mind that inserting another dog into a home that has been all his for this long will likely cause problems for all of you - and that is a difficult way to live.