My dog has gastritis. What food is best for him?

The vets recommend the science diet but I have seen bad reviews online about that food. I have fed him Castor and poullox organix but he still gets gases. I have a 3year old chihuahua. Any help? Thanks.He has been having gases for about a year. And his…

The vets recommend the science diet but I have seen bad reviews online about that food. I have fed him Castor and poullox organix but he still gets gases. I have a 3year old chihuahua. Any help? Thanks.He has been having gases for about a year. And his…...
    General Dog Discussions : My dog has gastritis. What food is best for him?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My dog has gastritis. What food is best for him?

My dog has gastritis. What food is best for him? General Dog Discussions
      The vets recommend the science diet but I have seen bad reviews online about that food. I have fed him Castor and poullox organix but he still gets gases. I have a 3year old chihuahua. Any help? Thanks.He has been having gases for about a year. And his stomach makes very loud noises :(I tried the science diet and it does nothing for him.

My dog has gastritis. What food is best for him? General Dog Discussions
    • a bland diet, is it something that is reoccurring or is this for short term treatment?so this is a long term and looking for a new food to keep him on, you still want to keep a bland diet I am thinking your vet recommended i/d, which you can find a grain free food that is similar to it, I thing changing the protein in the diet would be a good idea a lot of dogs with intestinal issues can have problems with chicken, also lamb, beef. Good luck it will be a trial and error to find the right food.he probably had issues with the corn and chicken in the SD.

• Good job on your research. Too bad the vet didn't have any other suggestions. Sometimes gastritis is due to a food intolerance. It looks like Castor and Pollux is a chicken & rice based food. You could try a gradual switch to a fish & potato based food. There are several brands out there, Taste of the Wild, California Natural, and Natural Balance are the three I remember off the top of my head. If that doesn't work maybe you could try a bland home-cooked diet and see if there's any improvement. If there is maybe you want to research that further and start adding ingredients slowly. It's tricky to do but there are people are there that make healthy meals for their dogs, either cooked or raw. Good luck, hope you find something soon.

• We had the same trouble with our dog. We had her allergy tested and found she's allergic to corn and soybeans along with many other ingredients that are available in the foods that are organic like barley and oats... Corn and Soybean oil are in everything! When the vet gets the test results, he include a list of foods you can feed your dog. We use Hill's Science PRESCRIPTION dog food. It's called Hill Science d/d Rice and Egg. The "d/d" is important when asking your vet about it. This isn't available at pet stores so check with your vet and online to find a list of local distributors who can special order it for you. Our vet gets weekly deliveries from Hill's. I know there are some bad reviews about Hill's but when you see 100% improvement in your dogs health, you will know you are doing the right thing. And your food list will offer a variety of choices.Mostly, I think you would benefit from the allergy test. That way you'll know what foods are causing the upset stomach. Also, my vet has recommended small doses of Tagamet and Pepto Bismol and that helps when you know your dog has eaten something that isn't in his diet and it's causing upset stomach.Good luck. When you fing the right food, you will be sooo relieved and the symptoms will go away.