Is it necessary to file a dog's nails after you clip them?

Is there a real reason for this like the nail may split open or is it just so the nails look nicer?

Is there a real reason for this like the nail may split open or is it just so the nails look nicer?...
    General Dog Discussions : Is it necessary to file a dog's nails after you clip them?...

• Is it necessary to file a dog's nails after you clip them?

Is it necessary to file a dog's nails after you clip them? General Dog Discussions
      Is there a real reason for this like the nail may split open or is it just so the nails look nicer?

Is it necessary to file a dog's nails after you clip them? General Dog Discussions
    • I file my dog's after clipping because otherwise they can tear fabrics and cause scratches to people when she is playing. I don't think it's necessary for any medical reason.

• You don't need to file the nails. It's not necessary, but if you want to to provent scratching then go ahead, but I don't as the walking outside on pavement files them a bit.

• It's not really a necessity. People file them after they cut them because they are sharp little buggers and can scratch you, tear furniture or get snagged on fabric.