Do Great Pyrenees make good pets?

My family is thinking of getting one and i was wanting to know the pros and cons please let me know.

My family is thinking of getting one and i was wanting to know the pros and cons please let me know....
    Dog Breed Discussions : Do Great Pyrenees make good pets?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Do Great Pyrenees make good pets?

Do Great Pyrenees make good pets? Dog Breed Discussions
      My family is thinking of getting one and i was wanting to know the pros and cons please let me know.

Do Great Pyrenees make good pets? Dog Breed Discussions
    • They do make good pets but here are a few pro;s and con's they tend to be more serious then playfulAggression toward animals who don't belong to his family Heavy shedding A very large dog who takes up a lot of space in your houseIs quiet indoors and content with moderate exerciseWill protectAggression or fearfulness when not socialized enough they are bred and born to guard and that’s what they will doThey must also be allowed “alone” time more so than other breeds. They need to have a place to retreat to if they are feeling overwhelmed, they want nap, or just need to get away. If they are not allowed this “alone” time they may become aggressive with those who are interfering in their space.You must be strong willed, because the Pyrenees will be stronger willed, and you must be able to provide exercise and space for the dog. The must be allowed proper exercise and the Pyrenees needs to have free roam. They are not a breed that you can chain outside or lock up constantly. A large, fenced yard is a necessity for them and preferably a country setting with multiple acres for them to wander. They will not go out the backyard and run around but would rather have half the day to walk around slowly and see what has changed.

• They make excellent pets, but you have to have the right personality to be owned by a pyr.You must be a good, strong, firm, loving alpha pack leader.You need to be willing to live with fur in all aspects of your life. Attributes:- While they tend to be serious as they take their job guarding the family seriously, they CAN be VERY playful... but they aren't "go fetch" dogs.- They can be unfriendly to animals that are not part of the pack/family but this can be dealt with if you give them training to dog socialize the. Your first responders comment on this would have been more appropriate if she was discussing an Anatolian or an Akbash. - They do shed a lot and should be raked 1-2 times a week at least. - They do need exercise, but can be very quiet for prolongued periods of time.- They were bred to be GUARDIANS ... ... ... -NOT- GUARD dogs... There's a big difference. Guardians keep their family / pack safe. Guards protect property, not people. - They do their job as guardians by intimidation, not by attacking. They bark to intimidate predators and/or intruders. They stand between you and danger. Attack is the LAST weapon in their arsenal of methods to protect you or their stock. - They need socialization to humans and animals so they are good canine citizens. - They can be stubborn and bullheaded, so you must be a good pack leader.- When you give a command, they must think about it and decide if it's the right thing for them to do because they were bred to be independent thinkers. They had to make decisions independently in guarding the flock so the shepherd could rest at times.- They need a very well fenced yard as they can be escape artists. If you're the right fit for a pyr, they are the most wonderful, entertaining, communicative companions.Please join one of Yahoo's excellent pyr groups @->--

• Hi,Great Pyrenees is a wonderful watchdog for the family, but he needs socialization to keep from becoming shy or aggressive to both dogs and people. A Great Pyrenees is generally loving and gentle with younger creatures, so he's a wonderful dog for families with children. Here's more info:http://lnk.nu/dogtime.com/130i.html