My dog he is a papillon he is 5years old and he is 16 pounds is that unhealthy?

My dog he is a papillon he is 5years old and he is 16 pounds is that unhealthy?...
    General Dog Discussions : My dog he is a papillon he is 5years old and he is 16 pounds is that unhealthy?...

• My dog he is a papillon he is 5years old and he is 16 pounds is that unhealthy?

My dog he is a papillon he is 5years old and he is 16 pounds is that unhealthy? General Dog Discussions

My dog he is a papillon he is 5years old and he is 16 pounds is that unhealthy? General Dog Discussions
    • Yes, quite unhealthy... Papillons are supposed to be between 5 and 10 pounds, on average- this means your poor little guy is between 1.5 to 2 times as heavy as he should be. Switch him to a diet kibble, and take him on plenty of walks. It's a good idea to schedule a vet appointment for him, too.

• Male papillions are usually between 7 - 10 pounds, so he is overweight according to standard. The vet always said to me that you should be able to run your hand along the side of your dog and feel their ribs if you cannot do this without hunting for the ribs they are overweight. It is often hard as an owner to see that your dog is overweight as you think he looks fine but if people are telling you he looks overweight then he is. Try cutting his daily food down by a third and stop all treats, it will benefit him if he loses the weight as he will be healthier, have more energy and live longer as his heart will not be under extra pressure due to the extra weight he is carrying. Good luck.

• Most papillons are anywhere from 7-10 lb. Although they can weigh more, it is not that healthy for a dog to weigh much more over this range because it can lower their life expectancy. Though 5 or 6 lb doesn't seem that much, even a pound over on a small dog can be considered overweight. Make sure his diet consist of all the proper suppliments. If possible, you can change your dogs dogfood if it consist of many fillers like chicken by product or corn meal. Also, make sure you have at least 1 walk a day for the best health. In your case, go on more walks for your dog to loose weight.You can tell if your dog is loosing wieght by feeling for his ribs.

• Depends on what size of a Papillon body frame that 16 pounds is on.A correct size Papillon is from 8-11 inches tall at the withers & of fine bone structure, about 7-10 pounds. But there are many, many larger Papillons. My rescue Papillon is 12 1/2 inches tall & weighs just under 9 pounds, lean & very muscular. I have a friend who has a very large, actually very well-bred Pap who is 16" tall & weighs 20 pounds! Larger than my Miniature American Shepherd! So sizes do definitely vary.In a dog that is in correct weight he should have a waist when you look from above. You will be able to feel his ribs when you run your hands over his torso. Looking from the side, he will have a tuck up for his belly. In a hairy Pap you will probably need to use your hands more so than your eyes to judge weight. If you aren't sure how to do this, here is a link:http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-evaluate-your-dogs-weight.htmlIf you still aren't sure, ask your Vet about your dog's weight.