Neutering okay for older dog? 5years old?

I have a small 6lb dog.she is about five years I believe.my boyfriend plans on getting another dog and id like to neuter her befor hand.my parents bought me her from a breeder and my parents never got around to do it.now that I moved out and have a job…

I have a small 6lb dog.she is about five years I believe.my boyfriend plans on getting another dog and id like to neuter her befor hand.my parents bought me her from a breeder and my parents never got around to do it.now that I moved out and have a job…...
    General Dog Discussions : Neutering okay for older dog? 5years old?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Neutering okay for older dog? 5years old?

Neutering okay for older dog? 5years old? General Dog Discussions
      I have a small 6lb dog.she is about five years I believe.my boyfriend plans on getting another dog and id like to neuter her befor hand.my parents bought me her from a breeder and my parents never got around to do it.now that I moved out and have a job to pay for it I heard it will benefit her and will be good for her.is that correct?how long is the process? And how will the healing process be/like? Is there any risks? *also, about thee years ago she got a blood transfusion for being anemic* does that makes the risks for her higher?thank you for your patience/viewing!

Neutering okay for older dog? 5years old? General Dog Discussions
    • Yes she will be fine. When we bring them into rescue (all rescues) they are always neutered before going back out so we do see quite a few being done that are not puppies.Do discuss all options with the vet and they will run pre-op bloods to check for any problems.

• It is okay but it is recommended that you get the pre-antistatic blood test (can be done same day) and most vets will add a small extra fee for a animal that has been in heat before.

• Yes...now they can do minimally invasive surgey, and go in laproscopically. I had it done that way for my cat and it was wonderful. Recovery time was estremely short. The "old way" traditional spay has about a 10-14 day recovery period. I had it done at University of PA. It was more expensive, but since I had a dog at home at the time, I didn't want to have a long recovery period. I have also heard spay and save does minimally invasive surgery. They are pretty inexpensive. Check it out in your area and make sure they have a good vet. Since it is more of a clinic, they are all different in their level of competency. Yes, it would be good for her to be spayed. Unspayed bitches can develop mammary cancer and pyometra...I know I had an unspayed bitch because she was a show dog, she did develop mammary cancer and underwent several operations. She did live a long life though.

• Five years is not too old to spay your little girl and it will prevent breast cancer and uterine cancer plus remove the possibility of unwanted pregnancies.Most vets run blood work before surgery, but I would definitely discuss this with the surgeon, even if only to remind them of the anemia treatment.

• If she's had a past problem obviously you'll need to run this past your vet. However, as for her age, most of my bitches were not spayed until they were retired, at any time from age 5 years. And without exception, all came through the surgery and were fine - no more need to be confined twice a year!!! It's a fact that the more season a b itch is allowed to have, the greater the risk (only risk) of her developing a female cancer later on, but only one of our later-spayed bitches suffered this with mammary cancer when she was over 12 years. Sad and not something I'd wish on my worse enemy. Spay surgery is invasive, and there will be a period of recovery but these days, they don't need to suffer with pain - there is pain relief available. There is always risk with any general anaesthetic/surgery, but again, spaying is done every day in vet practices, and rarely are there complications. The actual duration of the surgery will depend on how smoothly it all goes (she should be done mid-way between seasons) but she will be there all day - and some vets want to keep them in overnight too, something I don't do because many practices are not staffed overnight, and I believe they recover better at home. But I am experienced!!But again, if she had anaemia/blood transfusion previously, I imagine this will have to be taken into consideration in her case.