my 5year old healthy cat died of Kidney failure?

I had just bought a bag of Iams DRY (original,orange bag) My 2 cats where eating it for about 4 days. Both were throwing up. I bought them some purina instead. Then my 5 year old male cat would not eat or drink I took him to the vet and his kidneys had…

I had just bought a bag of Iams DRY (original,orange bag) My 2 cats where eating it for about 4 days. Both were throwing up. I bought them some purina instead. Then my 5 year old male cat would not eat or drink I took him to the vet and his kidneys had…...
    General Dog Discussions : my 5year old healthy cat died of Kidney failure?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• my 5year old healthy cat died of Kidney failure?

my 5year old healthy cat died of Kidney failure? General Dog Discussions
      I had just bought a bag of Iams DRY (original,orange bag) My 2 cats where eating it for about 4 days. Both were throwing up. I bought them some purina instead. Then my 5 year old male cat would not eat or drink I took him to the vet and his kidneys had failed. He was so bad he was puking brown bloody phlem at the vet office. We had to put him to sleep. 2 days later was the recall on only wet food. Please tell me if anyone has heard of this happenning with the iams dry food. I have saved the Upc code from the bag and my vet had cut open my cat to check his infected kidney and do some tests. I am still without a cat. And I have a rottweiler and black lab dogs who sometimes eat out of the cats food bowls. I am very worried.

my 5year old healthy cat died of Kidney failure? General Dog Discussions
    • I don't know, but i'm getting more & more scared about this recall. i heard only wet food, but your story doesn't fit that. i would be worried too. you may want to take your dogs in just as a precaution, if they do end up having a problem, maybe it can be caught early enough to do something. good luck.

• well it is dry food and there was a MASSIVE recall on that stuff so ask the assistants at a store what you could get for your pets. o and try to keep your dogs away from the cat food.

• I am soooo sorry for the loss of your kitty. :( They say Iams Dry is not affected but I do not believe them. Not for a ssecond. Iams is EVIL! ****DO NOT FEED IAMS!**** http://www.iamscruelty.comIt's time for pet owners to wake up and take responsibility for what they feed thier animals and quit trusting what those great big money hungry companies tell you. Research for yourself. Read the ingredients and make an informed decision! I am so glad that this whole recall is finally making people take notice of the crap they feed their animals. With the recall that happened, wheat gluten is the big suspect in cat food that everyone is trying to avoid, and it SHOULD be avoided. It should have been avoided all along and even more so now. Corn should always be avoided as well. It’s a huge filler worth NOTHING. Corn as an ingredient in cat food is a joke. Ever seen a cat chewing on a corn cob in a field? No, you haven’t. Cats, despite thousands of years of domestication, remain strictly carnivorous. True and honest meat eaters and that is what they need most. Protein! Be aware that there are three Categories of Pet Foods: -"Grocery store" foods – (Generic Brands and cheap name brands)those found in grocery stores and mass-market retailers - are typically made with lower-quality, less-digestible, inexpensive ingredients and are therefore a cheaper alternative. While easy on the pocketbook, "grocery store" foods normally do not provide your cat with the healthiest, most nutrient-dense ingredients.-Premium foods – ( Iams/Eukanuba, Purina, Hills Science Diet, Nutro and such) often found in grocery stores, pet stores, and veterinarian offices - contain higher-grade ingredients, but may still include some elements of "grocery store" food, such as artificial colors, artificial flavors, chemical preservatives, and "filler" ingredients. Premium foods are usually more expensive than "grocery store" foods because their ingredients are of a higher quality, and are therefore somewhat more beneficial and digestible. But don’t be fooled, some of those same sp called Premium brands are sometimes worse than grocery store foods, but they chanrge like they are better. -Healthy foods – (Wellness, Eagle Pack, Drs Foster and Smith) the newest addition to the pet food market - provide pets with the highest quality, healthiest, and most nutritious ingredients. They are typically available for purchase online or direct from the manufacturer. Some better retailers are starting to carry them now. Pet Smart does not carry any Healthy brand foods. Foods in the Healthy class - contain nutrient-rich ingredients. Formulated to provide optimum health benefits for pets, these foods often use whole, fresh fruits and vegetables, real meat as the primary protein source, and carbohydrate-rich whole grains like brown rice and barley. They should not contain artificial preservatives, flavors, or colors. They will almost always be fortified with additional vitamins and minerals, and will use the best natural sources for fatty acids to help build healthy skin and a beautiful coat. Because healthy foods use high quality ingredients, you should expect to pay a little more than you would for other types of pet food. Remember, though, with healthy foods you can feed less since healthy foods are more nutrient-dense than other types of food.With all that in mind, when you are choosing a new cat food, look at the ingredients. All ingredients on pet food labels are listed by weight. Meaning whatever is listed first there is more in there. The first ingredients listed should be whole meat ingredients, protein sources, such as Chicken or Turkey. NOT just the word “meat”, who the heck knows what that is? The word Chicken Meal is ok, but it should be a secondary ingredient, not first. Meal is the meat dehydrated and ground into a powder. The ingredients also should not include any by-products whatsoever. Those are disgusting left over animal parts that are scraped off the floor of meat and poultry plants, which should just go into the trash but go into pet food instead. EW!!!! Also make sure there are no artificial colors or flavors. And make sure there is no BHA and BHT used preservatives. These preservatives have been shown to cause cancer. Be aware though that when switching to a better food, you will pay for what you get. Good foods are not cheap. They are pricey and will cost you. But to me, they are well worth it. What are some good foods I recommend? I feed my cats Drs Foster and Smith Holistic Adult Lite Dry cat food. I purchase it online and have it automatically delivered to my door so I never run out and never have to go get it. It’s one of the best foods on the market and has no fillers in it. It is also very reasonably priced compared to other holistic foods as well.If you want to buy in a store, Complete Petmart carries quite a few natural, organic, and holistic blends. Old Mother Hubbard Wellness Brand is a great holistic food. As is Eagle Pack Dry Cat food. Merrick canned is also a great source of nutrition and they will be coming out with a dry line this summer. Some brands, not all, of Nutro cat food are ok is you want to spend less money, however I personally would never chose their food for nutritional value.I highly recommend people take the time to research for themselves, but the information I have given should get you off to a good start. Good luck choosing a new food for your cats! Side note… Please don’t feed Iams / Eukanuba. It’s ALL fillers and CRAP. There is nothing good for your cat in that food. Not to mention they do the most terrible animal testing you have ever seen. http://www.iamscruelty.com to see the terror they create. Drs. F&S Food Link - http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/NavResults.cfm?N=2002+6000Wellness Food Link - http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/wellness/cat_index.htmlEagle Pack Holistic Select - http://www.eaglepack.com/Pages/HS_Home.htmlMerrick Foods: http://www.merrickpetcare.com/****DO NOT FEED IAMS!**** http://www.iamscruelty.com

• I am so sorry in the loss of kitty and in such an abrupt and traumatic manner. A few years ago, I had to put my first cat to sleep due to terminal cancer that had spread throughout her entire system. It was devastating though I did attend a pet loss support group which did help. Here is a website to possibly learn about such a support group (though not in place of therapy). Just a cautionary: the site also has pet cemetaries listed. www.pet-loss.netRegarding your two dogs, I would keep the your cat's food bowl in plastic wrap and not chance it anymore. What a mess this horrible tainted food has caused!