Chihuahuas and children?

Hey i'm looking at purchasing a chihuahua puppy and i have 3 kids ages 3,4 and 6.Could anyone tell me how the dogs interact with younger children

Chihuahuas and children?

Hey i'm looking at purchasing a chihuahua puppy and i have 3 kids ages 3,4 and 6.Could anyone tell me how the dogs interact with younger children...
    General Dog Discussions : Chihuahuas and children?...

• Chihuahuas and children?

Chihuahuas and children? General Dog Discussions
      Hey i'm looking at purchasing a chihuahua puppy and i have 3 kids ages 3,4 and 6.Could anyone tell me how the dogs interact with younger children

Chihuahuas and children?

Chihuahuas and children? General Dog Discussions
    • pick ur pup careful if u have kids cuz they are soooooo skittish! get a beagle or shih tzu instea, still kinda small, but better with kids. i had to get rid of my chihuahua cuz it bit my neighbor's kids! =((( but my beagle is great and every1 loves him, same with shihtzu!

• no no no please dont!many people will say since theyre tiny that lil kids get along with them but OMG noooo!my chihuahua bit my baby and like attacked it!she bit up her leg!!i would never recommend chihuahua's around little kids!!maybe when they're ten but not as lil kids!

• my dog is part chihuahua, and she's older she is ok with kids as long as they dont run up on her and scare her, i have to hold her to let her know that the child is ok, and then she is fine. if she doesnt like a child then thats pretty much that, our neighbor gilr cant come over 6years old cause my dog just barks at her and scares her. I dont think its a childrens dog. we also have a golden retriever, thats a family and kids dog. I would go with that if you want a good family dog, and will protect your kids to.

• my dad has a chihuahua and i have a younger sister whose 5, our dog daisy is very good with her! but sometimes chihuahuas can be mean....but my aunt has one 2 who does really good with children.

• My personal opinion is chihuahua's are horribly unstable and are the most prone to bite breed there is, then you add children and there's all sorts of problems. The safety of the pup is also in question. Young children can be taught how to be around a dog, but this kind of dog breaks legs and things easily. I would be constantly worried.

• I wish someone could have the answer for you but they won't. No matter how believable they sound, whomever answers this question will be full of poo.It is a case by case basis. You can't judge how one dog is going to react vs. any other dog. I can say that Chihuahuas tend not to be the most idea choice for small children for a few reasons. 1. They are small and are dropped easily which can cause severe brain damage and/or death. 2. They are small and can be stepped on that causes broken bones or muscle damage. 3. More often than not they like to "nip"... but not because they are aggressive but because everyone is huge compared to them so they get frightened easier.I would recommend bringing your children to the local animal shelter in your area and asking the volunteers that work there to find you a suitable dog. When they bring him/her out you will be able to monitor the interactions between the dog and your children.Good luck and I hope you find that perfect new addition to your family!

• they tend to be very snappy. And I mean SNAPPY! but if trained it's okay. But I prefer the cavalier king charles spaniel instead though. ^_^http://www.towerwebsites.com/photos/cavalierlady/Puppy%20Quinn.jpg

• Unless you have some unusually mature and gentle kids, a very tiny dog like that can cause problems. Kids can unintentionally hurt a dog with such a small body.And the dog could be dropped and injured or even killed if they drop it.Consider a bigger dog as long as your children are so young.

• Chihuahuas typically don't do well with children.They tend to become 'one person dogs' and not only that, many children do not realize that they are small, fragile animals.Children like to pull, poke and prod at the small dogs, and it's only natural for them to react.Because your children are young, I would look into another breed..perhaps something slightly bigger?Also, in regards to you purchasing a dog please be sure to do TONS of research on the breed (like you are now; kudos for asking before buying) before making a decision.Also, it's best to avoid:Buying dogs OnlineBuying dogs from pet storesor buying dogs through newspaper ads.--Dogs sold online or from pet stores are from puppymills, which are factories that mass-produce dogs for the sake of profit.You can learn more about Puppymills and pet store puppies at:http://www.adoptdontshop.com/http://www.stoppuppymills.org/What you can do (when you have chosen a breed, if you live in the U.S.) is check out http://www.petfinder.com/ and view dogs who NEED homes. Adopting a dog is a great way to teach children compassion, responsibility and love for other creatures and can be beneficial for both the adopter and adoptee.Good luck

• That's a hard one, dogs are individuals. Some dogs like children and others don't. Can you see the parents of the puppies and if they like your children? A good breeder will socialize their pups to children and other animals and situations. Puppies, like kids, go through stages. If it's say an eight week old pup and it likes your children. It should be fine, as long as no one drops of frightens the pup. Try looking at several litters at least, before you buy. It is hard when you feel like you love a pup, but there are always others. Whatever you do find, make sure that your childrenknow that they have to guard and protect the well being of the dog. I hope you find the perfect dog for your family.

• I would not recommend a chihuahua with small children. The thing is, chihuahuas are little and fragile and while your children may be good with dogs, much attention needs to be paid to ensure that they don't get sat or stepped on. Also, since chihuahuas are little dogs, their defense mechanism is to bark and occasionally bite if they feel they are in danger (they may misinterpret childs play). I personally would not take this chance. They are great dogs, but are typically not recommended for households with children. Children can sometimes stress them out. In my opinion, this would not be fair to the kids or the dog. Try a golden retreiver instead.

• Remember on yahoo answer, people will suggest their favourite breed, not what actually suits you, however toy/small breeds are not well suited to young/small children as they are incrediable fragile and can easily be killed by dropping them on the patio, or seriously injured.Remember toy/small breeds are also less tolerante of the roughness of small children and are inclinde to be snappy.However they are perfectly fine for considerate older children. Larger dogs are generally more tolerant of young children and small children generally respect larger dogs more as there bigger. The fact is small children really cannot tell the difference between a soft toy and living toy/small breed dog, so they treat a live small dog really roughly. Fragility. Too many people acquire a toy breed puppy without understanding how incredibly fragile a toy breed is. You can seriously injure or kill a Chihuahua by stepping on him or by sitting on him when he's curled under a blanket or pillow, where he frequently likes to sleep. And Chihuahuas can seriously injure or kill THEMSELVES by leaping from your arms or off the back of your sofa. A larger dog can grab a Chihuahua and break his neck with one quick shake. Owning a toy breed means constant supervision and surveillance of what's going on around your tiny dog. Chihuahuas must always be kept on-leash -- they are just too easy to injure when not under your complete control.Chihuahuas are NOT suited to children, no matter how well-meaning the child. Children cannot help being clumsy, and that a child meant well is little solace to a Chihuahua who has been accidentally stepped on, sat on, rolled on, squeezed, or dropped onto the patio. Most Chihuahuas feel overwhelmed by the loud voices and quick movements that children can't help making -- and stress and fearfulness (even defensive biting) may be the result.http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/chihuahuas.htmlTop children dogs for under 8years oldLabrador Temperament: This breed is highly intelligent, loyal, and deeply devoted. The Labrador Retriever is reliable, affectionate, and thrive on human companionship and attention. They are absolutely wonderful with children and get along exceedingly well with other dogs. They may be reserved with strangers and make good watchdogs. If this breed is left alone for extended periods of time without attention or stimulation they will become lonely, bored, and destructive.REQUIRE a minimum of 30mintues daily walks and a run in secured fenced in yard.http://www.nextdaypets.com/directory/breeds/1100161/Golden RetriverTemperament: Golden Retrievers are loveable, polite, and highly intelligent. They exude charm and confidence. They are sweet, eager to please, and devoted family companions. They do not do well if left alone for extended periods of time or they will become mischievous and destructive. They have a tendency to be overly exuberant and distractible. They are always gentle and patient with children. They are friendly with other pets. In fact, they are friendly with everyone. They tend to bark as a form of greeting. The Golden Retriever is not well suited for a two career family as they require an inordinate amount of human interaction and companionship.REQUIRE a minimum of 30mintues daily walks and a run in secured fenced in yard.http://www.nextdaypets.com/directory/breeds/1100128/NewfoundlandTemperament: The Newfoundland is generous with love and affection. They are very sociable and friendly to visitors they know. They have a keen sense of responsibility and are excellent with children. They become so attached to their families that they cannot ever adapt to a new home or environment. They are generally good with other pets. This breed thrives on human companionship. They are gentle, heroic, and docile. Newfoundlands are extremely protective and will place themselves between their family and any danger that appears to be of a threatening nature..NOT 100% true, newfies can and will adapt to new homes!REQUIRE a minimum of 30mintues daily walks and a run in secured fenced in yard.http://www.nextdaypets.com/directory/breeds/1100184/CollieTemperament: The Collie has a very even and well-mannered temperament. This dog is regularly seen in homes with other animals and children, as they are very gentle and passive. Originally bred for herding, this dog has the tendency to nip at ankles as a pup, however most grow out of this stage. Willing to learn and very loyal, this dog will surely provide you with a lot of love.REQUIRE a minimum of 30mintues daily walks and a run in secured fenced in yard.http://www.nextdaypets.com/directory/breeds/1100082/beagleBEAGLES-Lots of incorrect info in BOTH books & Internet but here the shocking truth! Beagles are HIGHLY energetic BREED, who being a scent hound, shouldn't be let off- lead as THIS BREED would just follow scent-trails. They love to dig, bark and howl,they are stubburn and difficult to train, but do require intensive training!a very common breed to be surrendered at shelters, so please research this breed before you decide to adopt. They require very tolerant owners! Not suitable with small animals. The Beagle is an all around happy dog that makes a wonderful companion.They actually require 4km daily walks, however generally excellent with all age children and generally get along well with other dogs.Top dogs for considerate older childrenShih TzuShih Tzu puppies are NOT suited to small children, no matter how well-meaning the child. Children cannot help being clumsy, and that a child meant well is little solace to a Shih Tzu puppy who has been accidentally stepped on, sat on, rolled on, squeezed, or dropped onto the patio. Even Shih Tzu adults may feel overwhelmed by the loud voices and quick movements that children can't help making -- and stress and shyness (even defensive biting) may be the result. http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/shihtzu.htmlMalteseMaltese are NOT suited to children, no matter how well-meaning the child. Children cannot help being clumsy, and that a child meant well is little solace to a Maltese who has been accidentally stepped on, sat on, rolled on, squeezed, or dropped onto the patio. Most Maltese feel overwhelmed by the loud voices and quick movements that children can't help making -- and stress and fearfulness (even defensive biting) may be the result.http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/maltese.htmlBichon Frise Bichon Frise puppies are NOT suited to small children, no matter how well-meaning the child. Children cannot help being clumsy, and that a child meant well is little solace to a Bichon Frise puppy who has been accidentally stepped on, sat on, rolled on, squeezed, or dropped onto the patio. Even Bichon Frise adults may feel overwhelmed by the loud voices and quick movements that children can't help making -- and stress and shyness (even defensive biting) may be the result. http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/bichonfrise.htmlBoston TerrierTemperament: Highly intelligent, alert, and enthusiastic, the Boston Terrier is affectionate and loyal. This breed is quite animated and has a lovely sense of humor. They thrive on human interaction and on being an integral part of the family. They do best in a home with children over the age of eight years and are exceedingly good with the elderly. They will generally get along with non-canine pets, although males may fight with other dogs. The Boston Terrier has a very sensitive nature and will be affected either positively or negatively by tone of voice or the home atmosphere and environment.French BulldogTemperament: This hilarious little dog makes a wonderful playmate and is very affectionate. Alert and clingy, this breed does require lots of human attention to thrive. This is not a kennel breed and should always be kept in a family environment. Given proper socialization the French Bulldog can do well with other dogs, but should not be around small children, as they do not tolerate rough play.Border TerrierTemperament: Friendly and playful, the Border Terrier is very affectionate and thrives on human interaction and attention. This breed is more placid than is typical of the other terrier breeds. They do best in a home with older considerate children. They will generally get along with other dogs but are not recommended for homes with cats or other small household pets. The Border Terrier does not do well if left alone for extended periods of time and will become destructive and bark excessively if bored or lonely. For this reason a two-career family is not an ideal situation for them. They are wary of strangers but are generally not aggressive. This breed is not recommended for the novice, apathetic or sedentary dog owner.Pug-Remember a poke in the eye could cause this dog eye to pop out-making him blind, and is a blind dog good with children? Small children and pugs are not a good combination. While pugs are not generally aggressive dogs, young children tend to be fascinated with their curly tails and bulging eyes. Pugs eyes are very sensitive and easily injured, and having their tails pulled can make even the most easy-going pug snap at the person who is doing the pulling.http://frankthepug.com/Cavilier King Charles SpanielIf you have small children, I do not recommend Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppies, no matter how well-meaning the child. Small children cannot help being clumsy, and that a child meant well is little solace to a Cavalier puppy who has been accidentally stepped on, sat on, rolled on, squeezed, or dropped onto the patio. Even Cavalier adults may feel overwhelmed by the loud voices and quick movements that children can't help making -- and stress and shyness may be the result.http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/cavalierkingcharlesspaniels.html

• I have 2 chihuahuas and no kids. My older is great with kids (my little cousins), has always loved being around a lot of people and loves to play with kids. My younger chi doesn't want anything to do with kids and does not like many people.Have your kids been around dogs before? How are they with dogs? Do they keep picking at them and never leave them alone? Are you going to be able to watch the puppy and have time to train it? Will a small dog likely get stepped on in your house? They can easily get underfoot. Those are a couple of things you should think about before getting a chihuahua.I personally would never get a chihuahua if I had small children. Normally they are too rough with animals. A chihuahua they will want to pick up and carry it around everywhere. I've heard too many stories about a little puppy chi getting dropped on its head on the hardwood floor. Then the puppy has brain damage, or worse dies.Now some kids are great with animals. When I first had my first chi and introduced it to my little cousins (2 - 12 years old) they all wanted to hold him and carry him around. I sat there and explained to them what they could do with him. I didn't want them picking him up or holding him. They were allowed to play with him on the floor, and if the puppy got in their lap they could hold him but they weren't allowed to keep him in their lap if he started to get up. The 2 year old was amazingly gentle with him. You have to sit down with the dog and your kids and explain to them what they can and can't do with the dog. Make sure they are always supervised with the new puppy.The new puppy will most likely be very nervous about coming into a new home that it doesn't know. Explain that to your kids. You can't overwhelm the dog with attention, it will get scared and he wont like the people that pick at him too much.