Why don't dogs and cats get along?

I know a small amount of them do but most of them don't.When I first got my kitty (which was about 6years ago) we introduced him to my bunny and they got along really well. One time my bunny was out in the front yard and this white cat jumped inside are…

I know a small amount of them do but most of them don't.When I first got my kitty (which was about 6years ago) we introduced him to my bunny and they got along really well. One time my bunny was out in the front yard and this white cat jumped inside are…...
    General Dog Discussions : Why don't dogs and cats get along?...

• Why don't dogs and cats get along?

Why don't dogs and cats get along? General Dog Discussions
      I know a small amount of them do but most of them don't.When I first got my kitty (which was about 6years ago) we introduced him to my bunny and they got along really well. One time my bunny was out in the front yard and this white cat jumped inside are yard and my bunny chased the white cat away, it was so funny! He growled and thumped his feet it was so cute - the cat got scared and ran!But I got my chihuahua about 8months ago and they just don't get along!My cat is so grumpy and if she goes near him he will scratch her.What can I do so they can get along?They can both be on the same bed but on different sides, if the dog gets to close he will attack.

Why don't dogs and cats get along? General Dog Discussions
    • It all depends on the cat & dog themselves.My snobby Persian loves my mutt. Ive had my cat for 10 yrs. Then we brought a 1yr old HUGE mutt [Roxy] home wen she was 8.She avoided her at first, but now, they cuddle wen its cold ^_^It all depends on the temperment of both animals.Who are we to say they can't get along?? :]

• It is probably because your cat is so used to being on its own and getting all the attention that now another new face has come along the cat gets jealous. If people want to have a cat and a dog they will usually get them at the same time so the two different animals will be used to each other, it is also a competition between them and they both want the attention. try to keep them in sperate rooms when they sleep because they may attack each other if they sleep on the same bed, and also introduce them slowly. if this does not work, maybe it is best that you only keep one of the animals.Also another tip: if you let your cat out during the day it may not bother the dog much because they won't be suffocated by one another and this is a good way of keeping them seperate so they don't fight. also try to give an equal amount of attention to both animals as the other will get jealous and so this is why they may not get alonghope this helps xxx

• It is common for animals to react to the unknown with some kind of aggression. Most animals have this just built into their wiring and for good reason as it helps with their survival. Domestic animals such as cats or dogs can be taught to alter their behaviour. A cat or dog when forced to be in the same space will usually , over time warm up to each other and become friends. Or at least learn to tolerate each other. If the cat and/or dog are put together when they are puppy and kitten the likely hood of them becoming friends is very high. They seem to be more open and playful at earlier ages. From what you say it seems like your 2 are putting up with each other to some extend. That is good and will hopefully grow as they get to know each other. Getting them together in group activities will help.