german shepherd inside the house....?

hello!i own a female german shepherd she is 6years old!well i am going to move in the next 4-5 months!until now she lives in the front yard but in the new house she has to live inside the house cause i m moving to an apartment(quite big)!well i m also…

hello!i own a female german shepherd she is 6years old!well i am going to move in the next 4-5 months!until now she lives in the front yard but in the new house she has to live inside the house cause i m moving to an apartment(quite big)!well i m also…...
    General Dog Discussions : german shepherd inside the house....?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• german shepherd inside the house....?

german shepherd inside the house....? General Dog Discussions
      hello!i own a female german shepherd she is 6years old!well i am going to move in the next 4-5 months!until now she lives in the front yard but in the new house she has to live inside the house cause i m moving to an apartment(quite big)!well i m also moving to another town so i am afraid that the dog will get very stressed!i am looking for some help for example some advices and some info about how to move house without she getting stressedor how to make her feel comfortable inside the house without having her doing disasters???any advice acceptablePLEASE DO NOT WRITE THAT THE DOG HAS TO BE OUTSIDE THE HOUSE AND THE APARTMENT IS NOT FOR THAT BREED!!I REALLY NEED SOME ADVICES....THANK YOU!she is 6 years old and in 1/5/2010 will be 7 years old!!won't be difficult to train her?my mom do not let me bring the dog inside the house!!so i can not bring her inside at this moment!

german shepherd inside the house....? General Dog Discussions
    • Since this is a breed that thrives on being with their people, she should be ecstatic! Start getting her used to it now by letting her in the house. Start housetraining her, teaching her manners - in short, everything she should already know about being part of a family. She's not going to care that she's moving to another town.

• German Shepherds love to be with their people so that will definitely help the transition. I agree with the suggestion to start bringing her in now. Some love being inside but some that have been outside all of their lives will be stressed and anxious. Work with her in short time spans so she thinks it is fun. If she seems stressed, try calming her then let her back outside. I would caution you against letting her back out while she is stressed or acting anxious as she may begin to associate her behavior with being allowed to go back outside. If she learns that pacing, jumping at windows, whining and barking, etc, will get her a ticket outside then you will definitely have a problem once you move into the apartment.I strongly recommend crate training now while she is still in a familiar environment. There are several different varieties of crates. I would suggest an open wire style so she can see everything around her. These usually come in black wire with a plastic pan/tray and fold down when not in use. I use the 48" size here with our German Shepherd Dogs. Our dogs stay safely in their crates when we are out of the house. This protects them from being injured and also keeps them from damaging the house or apartment. There are lots of DVDs and online articles about crate training. The important thing is to make her feel safe there. http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/crate_training.htmlBe sure to praise her when she is inside and acting in the way that you want. Verbal praise, petting, or treats will help her know what you expect. When she makes a mistake, try to correct her firmly but don't yell and stress out because she will pick up on that.Tips for teaching her house manners, house training, etc are all available online. Try searching for a German Shepherd rescue in your area and call them to ask for tips to bring your girl inside. Most rescues are accustomed to dealing with dogs that have lived outside and are being trained by foster homes to live indoors. There are also online resources for homes fostering dogs that may offer good advice.Most important is to relax and she will relax. German Shepherds love to be near the people they are bonded with so I am sure with a little effort and patience, she will become a wonderful inside member of the family.