Average Animal Adoption Fee?

My husband and I want to adopt two kittens who are special needs. The shelter emailed us their info sheet, The fee seemed a bit high compared to the other shelters we found. I have not seen their establishment yet because we did find them at…

My husband and I want to adopt two kittens who are special needs. The shelter emailed us their info sheet, The fee seemed a bit high compared to the other shelters we found. I have not seen their establishment yet because we did find them at…...
    General Dog Discussions : Average Animal Adoption Fee?...

• Average Animal Adoption Fee?

Average Animal Adoption Fee? General Dog Discussions
      My husband and I want to adopt two kittens who are special needs. The shelter emailed us their info sheet, The fee seemed a bit high compared to the other shelters we found. I have not seen their establishment yet because we did find them at petfinder.com We understand all that goes into caring for these animals but thought it was odd to have the same price for a cat as a dog. In your opinion, what is the average and appropriate fee for adopting a cat?

Average Animal Adoption Fee? General Dog Discussions
    • Depends, in australia victoria it vary from shelter to shelter and states. Again in other countries it vary widely againOn petfinder i see animals as high 400+, yet as low as $45 or less. Alot of shelter charge extra for special needs cats because they are more expensive to make healthy and suitable for adoption, other shelter discount special needs pets in attempt to rehome them quicker!Keysborough Animal Shelter=Kittens under 4months $110Cats Adult is over 4 months =$80Senior cats discounted=approx $60, however its says enquire for more informationRSPCAAdult is over 4 monthsSenior is over 7 yearsAdult=$85Kitten=$130Senior=$65PethavenAll kittens and cats are charged at the re-housing fee of $150Bluecross, this shelter obviously bases it fees on age and medical cost to keep the cat and how long the cats been there for.Cats 2years old=$120Cats 4years=120Cats 1year old=$150Cats 7years=$90Cat 1year=$1209months=$1505years=$120Mercede=$150Animal Aids TrustCats - $100 Kittens - $140Around the PoundsAge: 8 weeks & 10 weeks=140each12months old=10012weeks old-14weeks=$1202years=$120There are a growing number of puppy mills or puppy brokers posing as animal rescuers. They charge an exorbitant "adoption fee", when in reality they are breeders or brokers selling reject puppies they couldn't sell on their own. They are just trying to turn a quick buck by preying on your good intentions to help a dog in need. The give away is that they care more about taking your money (promoting their payment options, non-refundable deposits) and don't care about the dog. They will usually have lots of purebred or designer mix puppies and youngsters as opposed to mixed breed or purebred adults. Many of the puppies are extremely young -- a definite sign of broker rejects that didn't make it to the pet store. Here's what to look for in a reputable rescue organization -- one that's in it for the dogs and not to line their own pockets: 1) Is the rescue group an approved tax-exempt charity with the IRS paperwork to prove it? 2) Are the adoptable animals spayed/neutered prior to adoption? >p> 3) Does the rescue require a home visit and reference check prior to adoption and do they actually call your references and visit your home? Note: reputable rescues do not ship dogs or they will ship as a last resort and only after they have done this due diligence!4) Are the adoptable animals tested for and free of any treatable health concerns? Rescues make sure the dog is healthy before they send it home!5) Are the potential adopters properly screened to assure the new pet is going to a responsible home where it will be cared for and cherished.6) Are the adoptable animals vaccinated?7) Does the rescue group require you to sign an adoption contract, ensuring that you to contact them with any problems and return the dog should you no longer be able to keep it?8) Is the rescue group educating the adopters about the pet's individual needs?9) Is the rescue group educating the adopters and public about responsible pet ownership?10) Does the rescue group make themselves available to the adopter for post adoption support?PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH ON RESCUE ORGANIZATIONS. The last thing you want to do is put money in the hands of those disgusting puppy millers or brokers trying to take advantage of your good intentions to help a dog in need. Don't let yourself be duped into paying for the construction of their new puppy factory!