What is the best guard dog???

i have a small piece of land and i am looking for a type of dog that will guard our ranch with animals but that wont attack them.are german sheperds the best???a type of dog that will attack or at least frighten other wild animals that come to eat our…

i have a small piece of land and i am looking for a type of dog that will guard our ranch with animals but that wont attack them.are german sheperds the best???a type of dog that will attack or at least frighten other wild animals that come to eat our…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What is the best guard dog???...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is the best guard dog???

What is the best guard dog??? Dog Breed Discussions
      i have a small piece of land and i am looking for a type of dog that will guard our ranch with animals but that wont attack them.are german sheperds the best???a type of dog that will attack or at least frighten other wild animals that come to eat our chickens

What is the best guard dog??? Dog Breed Discussions
    • german shepherds, rottweilers and dobermans. i would pick a shepherd though. cos i like them. also german shepherds are very loyal and great family dogs. and they can herd you animals.mine:http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AqqReB9JLnQLbjYYhgzvqEHAFQx.;_ylv=3?qid=20080820085708AAOXld9

• Chihuahuas were specifically bred for being guard dogs!NO, German shepherds are not guard dogs. Pit bulls are NOT guard dogs either, they love people and are overly friendly!

• i grew up around horses and border collies were awesome. they are good guard dogs and have natural instincts to herd your animals. just a little training and you will have a good guard dog, a good herder and a good loyal pet.

• Dalmations are wonderful friendly dogs, that are extremely protective. They growl at nothing and bare teeth for no reason. they are very intimidating. but are those kind of dogs that will take wonderfully to one person in your family. they are meaner than most people know, but to their humans they are generally great dogs. they arent the typical dog, they sun burn and they are very weird, but all in all they are really great powerful dogs.

• German Shepherds, Dobermans, Rottweilers... and Male dogs are more protective than females. and ALWAYS get a dog when it is a puppy. it will train better and accept you as the "dominant" figure.however, you cant just get a dog and expect it to automatically guard your land. you have to bond with it and train it, make it want to protect your land. and to keep it from attacking your other animals, all you have to do is put the puppy around the other animals. it might be scared at first but its curiosity will take over and it will be comfortable around them and not attack them when it is older.

• The type of guard dog you need is a Livestock Guard Dog breed. If the dog is to guard livestock you must raise the pup with the stock so that it bonds more to them than to people. To start, if predators are a problem, you could get one already trained but would have to integrate the dog with your stock. This is sometimes done by bringing the dog with some stock already bonded to it to your property and then when your stock accepts the dog (and vice versa) the borrowed stock is removed. You would need to get a dog or pup from working not show stock. Some potential breeds are the Great Pyrenees, Kuvasz, Kommondor, Akbash Dog, and Anatolian Shepherd,

• German Shappards are great quard dogs (i never owned one but the man down stairs owns one and she is quick to learn whos spose to be here and who isnt) mind you she did attack my dog (border collie) but the strange part is she was trying to protect us my dog was barking at us out of excitement she is also quick to keep other dogs away. Husky im only mentioning because someone else did thier gorgous but love to run and are hard to train. I dont care for routwielers but they are good watch dogs as well, Pitbuls are known to be strong and good watch dogs but i dont know they act towards chickens and such,labs are great as well but stay in the puppy phase for 2 yrs and my mom got ride of hers cause it killed a few chickens,My mothers friend owns a huge huge white dog thing stands up to my armpit (5'3 maybe 4) while on all 4 paws not sure the name of the breed but it is great with children, loyal and protecting animals from almost anything ill ask my mom later the name of it (not good for indoors from size of it and tail was also overly friendly to me)i dont think a border collie is a good quard dogs there for herding, plus mine and most that i have met are to friendly to people anywaysId say any dog can be a good watch dog depending on training but the last one the big white thing would be the best if you got foxs, wolfs, cyotes, strange dogs, we also are known for cogars up here well close by but i dont think this dog would do good against one of them)also turkeys can be good to warn other animals some people put mulls in with animals and they are to good at protecting the animals they know (theyll kill new born animals) by getting them between thier legs and kickin it to death