at what age are dogs consider seniors?

i always thought that 8 years old was a senior for dog cause i think 6 years old is around 45 in human years and 7years is 50 and 8 is around 55 to 60 so what do you think?and i talking about little dogs. big dogs it is complete different.but although…

i always thought that 8 years old was a senior for dog cause i think 6 years old is around 45 in human years and 7years is 50 and 8 is around 55 to 60 so what do you think?and i talking about little dogs. big dogs it is complete different.but although…...
    General Dog Discussions : at what age are dogs consider seniors?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• at what age are dogs consider seniors?

at what age are dogs consider seniors? General Dog Discussions
      i always thought that 8 years old was a senior for dog cause i think 6 years old is around 45 in human years and 7years is 50 and 8 is around 55 to 60 so what do you think?and i talking about little dogs. big dogs it is complete different.but although my aunts dog is an Australian shepherd (big dog) and its 9 years old and it is in track and agility shows and is number one and acks like a pup im confused???.lol=Dthank so much!!!to help like a chihuahua or a Pomeranian?

at what age are dogs consider seniors? General Dog Discussions
    • Depends on breed, size, and whether or not the dog is neutered. Also, your aunt's dog is senior, but that doesn't mean that they have to be all crusty and ill ;) She's just a really healthy dog!The life expectancy of breeds themselves varies so greatly. Some dogs are senior at only 5 years of age. I certainly wouldn't consider a toy poodle senior at 5, though, because they're known to live to be over twenty!

• Depending on the life expectancy of the breed, and the individual dogs lifestyle, small breeds are "senior" at about 7-8 years old. By "senior" I do not mean that they are at the "end of their rope" by all means. What I mean is that their metabolical and physiological processes are changing and they have different nutritional and medical requirements than that of younger dogs. For instance, at this age you should switch them to a diet formulated for senior dogs to give them the nutrients their aging body needs to stay healthy and consider starting a glucosamine supplement to help with joint health. Also, annual examinations by a vet become even more important and many vets recommend routine health screening tests such as urinalysis, small blood panel, and thyroid checks once annually or bi-annually at this age. Teeth cleanings will probably be needed more often, and bloodwork should always be run before anesthesia on an older dog. Many small breed can live to be 20+ years old, but special care should be taken at about 7-8 years old to ensure a healthy "retirement". Large breed dogs tend to have a shorter lifespan so it is a little earlier (about 6 yrs)