what pet should i get for 8year old twins?

they are BOYS! and they run around alote and they love animals

they are BOYS! and they run around alote and they love animals...
    General Dog Discussions : what pet should i get for 8year old twins?...

• what pet should i get for 8year old twins?

what pet should i get for 8year old twins? General Dog Discussions
      they are BOYS! and they run around alote and they love animals

what pet should i get for 8year old twins? General Dog Discussions
    • Give them a fish! Sea-monkeys are pretty cool and so are Aquasaurs. You can get both of these fish things at target or k-mart for 20 bucks or less including the pet, pet food and tank. They will be in the toy section for kids under science. Ask a clerk if you want...they will know.They get the fish in a little bag and grow them from an egg! They grow pretty quick too! Sea-monkeys reproduce alot...but are MUCH easier to take care of then a Aquasaur. An Aquasaur will eat any others in the tank with him...and so in the end only one will be left. These things only last 90 days while a colony of Sea-monkeys will last 2 years. I would prefer to get the boys Sea-monkeys!

• hamsters or a small animal... you can get plastic balls for the animals to run in. plus, it will show you if they are ready to have a bigger pet. if they can handle the responsibilities of a small animal well and still want a dog or something then you will have at least seen what they can handle with a hamster or gerbil...

• TWO hamsters. Each child can have his own pet. Otherwise ask them, but make sure to tell them that it must be small enough to fit in a terrarium. Unless you want to be the one running around cleaning up after great danes.Other suggestions would be a lizard or a guinea pig. At 8 they might not be old enough to care for a larger animal like a dog and a smaller pet can help them develop specific "care giver" skills.

• A labrador retriever is a great dog for kids. They have a lot of energy and they like to play and run. They have great personalities and as long as they aren't abused they won't become mean. Just make sure whatever you get will be treated good and make sure the boys know how to take care of there new pet.

• You want something htey can handle and that sin't too breakable if they are two loud hyper boys (like most 8 year old boys). If you can swing a dog, it would be a good pet, because they aren't too skittish and would love to play. If not then maybe a guinea pig or two. They are usually good with being handled and not as skittish as a rabbit

• My suggestion is a dog from the SPCA - because - they are strongly examined for temperment and they will be able to tell you which dogs they have that would be best suited for two very energetic boys. First, you need to scope out what's available and then when you find one, take the boys to "visit" with the dog of choice and check their interactions. Be sure the boys know you are just visiting so if this dog does not respond well to the boys you can move on to another dog.It is important that the dog is very comfortable around kids, not skiddish, and is relaxed enough they can hug it's neck - frankly because, that's what little kids do and we don't want to get a dog that is going to react negatively to that.Make sure this dog doesn't jump all over the boys to the point that they will decide he's too much work to control. You want them to have a healthy relationship. This dog is to be a part of your family and there should be harmony.I got my dog Bailey from the SPCA and I have been blessed that someone else gave him up - because he's been wonderful.Good Luck.Sadi

• Start them out with a goldfish. Make sure they understand what they need to do to care for it. Keep track of how well they do taking care of the fish. If they take good care of their fish, upgrade them to a hampster. If they take good care of the hampster, then get them a dog. If, at any point, they lose interest in taking care of their pet, understand that the occasional lapse will happen with children. When it does, there ought to be consequences, such as missing their favorite dessert the first time, and missing a meal entirely the second time. Most animals only eat once a day, so it's VERY important that your boys understand what it feels like when the person who feeds you forgets. When I was eight, I had a parakeet. I forgot to feed him twice. The first time, I missed dessert. That kept me feeding him regularly for two months. Then I forgot again and missed my dinner. I went to bed hungry and in tears. I never again forgot to feed any of my pets.Best wishes teaching your children to be responsible pet owners.

• Boys that love to run a lot need to have Kites for pets.. Eight year old boys seldom have the good sense to be careful around a pet when they loooove to tussel around the rest of the time. Puppys and kittys would get stepped on so I would consider something in a container. Think a pair of birds, (everybody owns both birds .. time share), a few fish in an aquarium if they like that kind of pets, or if you can find two gentle hampsters for pets they might fill the bill. Be careful of same sex fights and mixed sex pair fights.. and babies.. plan your pets carefully..What I don't recommend is One pet for Two twins. When the boys are a couple years older, age 10, I think two kittens would be great.. Actually the treatment the first pets in containers get will be your indicator of when you can advance to an 'out of container' pet like kittens or puppys.

• I would say rat, hamster, guinea pig, or fish. All are not overly difficult to care for and pets that 8 year olds could easily learn to handle. Please remember that even though they will be your sons pets that you must supervise handling them, for both their safety. Good luck!

• Dogs a duchound would be nice!They are small and sometimes jumpy but they don't shed that much!Your twins could team him/her tricks and take it on walks!If it was my desion i would wanna horse but that me!But go with the dog!

• You should get the kind of pet that you are willing to take care of, train, and clean up after. 8 year old twins aren't likely to take any responsibility when it comes to pets, and it's my experience that the parents, and usually mom that does all the work. If YOU don't want a pet, or don't know what you would like, get them a colouringbook filled with pet pictures.

• a jack russell terrier. high energy dog that loves people. they are very sweet too. Jack russell Terriers are small dogs but GREAT. i used to have one and they just LOVE to run or play with a ball. (and they are absolutly ADORABLE... look jack russell terrier up on google images...) If this is your first dog (or their first dog) you definitally want a small dog, and at 14-18 pounds, JUST the right size. i definitally think a jack russell terrier is the way to go.PS they are really easy to take care of because: they don't need to be brushed, they don't shed alot, they don't eat alot (like a big dog which can be really expensive), don't have alot of health problems, etc. JUST GREAT DOGS

• when you say that they run around alot that makes me think dog.Dogs are great pets and can be taught to do pretty much anything.Dogs are a big responsibility, but with twins they could each play a part in the care needed.One day one of the twins could feed the dog while the other grooms the dog.The easiest part of having a dog is that it will always protect you and your family and the boys can always have something to do giving you time to do house chores and have some relaxation time.Some parents are concerned about the mess a dog might make, but with the proper training you can train it to poop outside.And to prevent muddy paw prints through your house you should bath it every 2 or 3 weeks, also make sure to have a door mat by the door just incase your dog just rolled in mud.Before you get them ANY pet sit down with them and point out the responsibilities in owning a pet and how they will have to help groom and feed them.Having a pet is a great thing and will help teach them responsibility.I wish you the best of luck and hope you find a great pet of any shape or size.