What do you do with a 9year old dog?

I have had my sisters dog in my house for 6years. Me and my fiance have bad allergies and my two year old always has a snotty nose. My sister can't have her in our grandmothers house and i had enough of suffering and she pukes all the time and she has…

I have had my sisters dog in my house for 6years. Me and my fiance have bad allergies and my two year old always has a snotty nose. My sister can't have her in our grandmothers house and i had enough of suffering and she pukes all the time and she has…...
    General Dog Discussions : What do you do with a 9year old dog?...

• What do you do with a 9year old dog?

What do you do with a 9year old dog? General Dog Discussions
      I have had my sisters dog in my house for 6years. Me and my fiance have bad allergies and my two year old always has a snotty nose. My sister can't have her in our grandmothers house and i had enough of suffering and she pukes all the time and she has long hair and needs constant grooming, which my sister hardly gets done and it makes our house hairy. i don't want her to be put down, she is a good dog. Just wondering if there is somewhere that will take dogs her age and let her finish her life. Thanx

What do you do with a 9year old dog? General Dog Discussions
    • Try listing on Craigs list for adoption. Don't charge anything, just offer the dog for free. Also, sometimes rescue agencies can help, but right now, they are fairly overwhelmed.Peggy SwagerAPDT-Behavioristauthor of Training the Hard to Train Dogwww.peggyswager.com

• You need to have a chat with your sister and tell her that she needs to find a new home for her dog.It's not your dog, and not your problem. You sister needs to own up to her responsibility of having a dog.

• why not place an ad in the local paper free to good home.and make sure that whomever wants her is responsible and will love her and take care of her. other than that aren't there any other family members that may take her?

• In all honesty I think if you've had her for 6 years, a few more years couldn't hurt that bad. You ought to take her to a professional groomer once a month or so and have her clipped. And, a slicker brush (you can find one in any grocery or pet store for around 5 bucks) works wonders for shedding coats. I think it's cruel to take an older dog from the home its known all its life. If you absolutely must get rid of her, though, search for a no-kill humane society in your area. But before you do, I want you to do some serious internal thought before you turn your dog's world upside down.

• You are doing a great think for your sister, but enough is enough. You are really suffering. She has to realize this. Your health and the health of your child comes first. Just let your sister know that you can no longer care for her dog. You don't need to have the dog put down. You can put an add in the paper or bring it to your local SPCA. Nine is still young for a dog. It has many good years left. I once adopted a dog who was 8 and I my friend once rescued a dog who was 11. Good luck.

• I believe you should talk to your sister. Either the dog is hers or not. It seems like she needs to find another solution. It is bad enough that you and your wife have to deal with the allergies. It sounds like your child is going thru the same and that is not fair. I would put my foot down and have her do something about her pet. And if you have to deal with it yourself, put an ad in the paper. Some people would love to have an older dog. Until you are able to find a new home, maybe a special corner of a room or a room such as laundry room to stay in with a gate to keep her out of the most used area and a bed, food, and water. As long as she gets walked that should do her fine. Hard one to take care of. Sisters responsiblility as well as yours.

• Maybe if you go to your local Humane Society and ask if they have any room for a dog. If she has any special needs, tell them and ask them not to put her down, explain she is a good dog, and that many people would like to adopt her, ask them to notify you when a responsible person comes in and asks to adopt the dog.Good Luck!

• Try to find a good home for the dog. Please don't EVER advertise "free to good home" There are terrible things that could happen to your dog such as“FREE” is too often seen as worthless in the eye of the beholder. These just are some of the ways some people see your give-away pet:FREE bait to train fighting dogs FREE money from research labFREE animal to insert a firecracker into, or, to set on fireFREE to starve or torture This is a serious danger for the animals being given away. I am in animal rescue and know the horrors that animals face being given for free. People do not value a free animal and don't care about it. The dangers of this is extreme and needs to stop