Will my Dog need a C-Section?

My dog is now around 6 weeks pregnant, we still have to bring her to the vet to confirm the pregnancy but it is quite evident because she is showing alot of the signs of a dog around 6weeks pregnant.She is now 9years old and this is her second set of…

My dog is now around 6 weeks pregnant, we still have to bring her to the vet to confirm the pregnancy but it is quite evident because she is showing alot of the signs of a dog around 6weeks pregnant.She is now 9years old and this is her second set of…...
    General Dog Discussions : Will my Dog need a C-Section?...

• Will my Dog need a C-Section?

Will my Dog need a C-Section? General Dog Discussions
      My dog is now around 6 weeks pregnant, we still have to bring her to the vet to confirm the pregnancy but it is quite evident because she is showing alot of the signs of a dog around 6weeks pregnant.She is now 9years old and this is her second set of puppies. The last time she had puppies when she was around 3, the father was a lot bigger than her and the puppies were to big for her to have so after a few hours of very odd behaviour we rushed her to the vet to see what was wrong. She had to have an emergency C-Section and she was unable to feed and raise more than 1of the puppies.This was soon after she got shot and hit by a bus. She is a small dog and the father to her puppies now is also small with longer legs. Will she have to have a C-Secton because she had one in the past?And if she does,are mothers usually able to feed and raise all her puppies after a C-Section because she was not able to in the past?She also seems a bit big for a dog at 6 weeks especially since both the mother + father are small, could this mean she will have a good few puppies around 4-6.We are bringing her to the vet on Saturday. The last time we brought her she got an ultra-sound but it was to early in the pregnancy so they could'nt tell if she was pregnant and they charged a goog bit of money for it to.Maybe last time the reason she could'nt keep more than one puppy was because of the 2 incidents which happened before the pregnancy.She is eating alot more now during this pregnancy than she did during the last one. I hope her and the puppies will all be alright and that none of them will have to be put down.

Will my Dog need a C-Section? General Dog Discussions
    • Just because she had a c-section in the past doesn't mean she will need one this time.My schnauzer just had a c-section and she had 6 pups which she is feeding and caring for very well.They are 12 days old.

• wow is the dogs name lucky? Joking aside she should be fine delivering normally. if she does have a c sec she probably will raise only 1 pup its just too tiring for her after surgery - 9 is on the older side to have pups if you can go to the vet they could tell the size of the pups and begin to induce labour while the pups are smaller

• its her age that is the problem the older the female dog the more problems that could happen don't delay in taking her to the vets she will need a health check now considering her problems in the past,this is why breeders will not breed a dog of 9yrs in dog years she is 63yrs old a bit to old to be having puppies i suspect this was an accident please have her neutered after the pups are born because it is putting a strain on your dogs health and well being and believe me it is a lot cheaper have your dog neutered than having to call the vet in the middle of the night because she cannot have the pups naturally and yes most dogs go into labor at night.

• it sounds like every thing is going good this time . her eating a lot is really good . she should be able to take care of all the puppy's. and yes if she,s really big then she is going to have a lot of puppy's . *good luck*

• Sometimes dogs only end up with one c-section. I raise Boston Terriers which , a lot of them have trouble whelping. If you bred her to a small male you should be okay. Unless the pups double up or traffic jam at her cervix. I'd be very worried about your dogs age. Females should not have pups past age 6. It is to hard on their bodies.

• I would say this is most definitely a question to ask your vet. I am sure the size of the puppies will be the biggest factor in whether or not she has to have a c-section or not. Also she isn't a "young" dog anymore so that may have some reasons for one as well. Why was it that she couldn't feed more than one puppy? Did her injury from getting shot and hit by a bus interfere with her milk production? I think you should really talk to your vet about your concerns and consider having her fixed so you are not worring about this happening again.

• Every pregnancy is different, however, she is 9. She is a good candidate to be spayed after all this I hope youget her done. It is alot of stress for the dog to through havingpuppies plus a C section if needed and you sound worriedwhich you would not have to worry if she was spayed,hope all goes well.