what is the best kind of dog to give to a 10year old child.?

my kid is turnring ten in four days, and i want to give him a dog. so i want to know what kind i should give him. and why.

my kid is turnring ten in four days, and i want to give him a dog. so i want to know what kind i should give him. and why....
    General Dog Discussions : what is the best kind of dog to give to a 10year old child.?...

• what is the best kind of dog to give to a 10year old child.?

what is the best kind of dog to give to a 10year old child.? General Dog Discussions
      my kid is turnring ten in four days, and i want to give him a dog. so i want to know what kind i should give him. and why.

what is the best kind of dog to give to a 10year old child.? General Dog Discussions
    • depends where you live, if the dog can run and be free than a lab or retriever is great but if the dog needs to be kept inside then i would suggest a shih tzu

• do NOT give him a dog to start with. Start with something MUCH smaller like a guinea pig or a hamster. A dog is ALOT more responsiblity, and it is best to teach them basic responsobility with an "expendable" pet such as those listed above.

• These are the top three that I would reccomend.1.Golden Retriever. Very fun, friendly, nice. A great gift to a child or family.2. Siberan Husky. Kids love those!3. Black Labrador. They are quite sweet and friendly

• A cooked one with bar-b que sauce...because it probably tastes better then a raw dog covered in bar-b-que sauce...and it won't pee on everything and give your child allergies.

• Welsh corgis are great dogs to grow up with. They are small enough that they are gentle but big enough that if he wants to play a bit rough, the dog can take it. And they are adorable. They are also very intelligent.

• LABRADOR RETRIEVER Members of the retriever family are the most sought after dogs in the world for companionship. Their good reputation with small children and small animals is known around the world. This recommendation includes the Golden retriever, curly and flat-coated retrievers, and Chesapeake Bay retriever. STANDARD SCHNAUZER and BEAGLE Many breeds in the hound family are very good with children. They are good-natured and have a very positive outlook on life, but they can be quite stubborn. It is their stubborness that makes them very frustrating for children who want to teach their dogs to fetch or come. Getting a beagle to do something is a test of patience and persistence. COLLIE FAMILY This group includes the border collie, briard and collie. These dogs are very docile with children and full of energy. They are very patient, but they will take charge of a situation that gets out of hand—key qualities in working with livestock and playing with a roomful of children. JACK RUSSEL TERRIER and SPRINGER SPANIEL Members of the spaniel family are extremely playful and friendly. The popularity of the cocker spaniel in 1970s and 1980s caused a great deal of inbreeding and biting became a problem. But the springer spaniel never reached the popularity of the cocker, steering clear of the inbreeding problems. Despite all of this, spaniels have been traditionally wonderful family dogs (Ears can be sensitive to pulling!) MOUNTAIN DOGS This category includes Great Pyreness, Saint Bernard, Great Swiss mountain dog and Akbash. These dogs are ferocious fighters in defending their flock, but are extremely loving and patient with their families. Even today many of these dogs are "put to work" in the wintertime, pulling children on sleds for hours on end. WEIMARANER and OTHER GUNDOGS Like many other hunting dogs, Weimaraners can be willful and stubborn, but is a wonderful companion, always ready to play or cuddle for a good nap. POODLE It's always a surprise breed. Although toy poodles are not recommended for children, the poodle is a wonderful breed for them, particularly the standard poodle. The standard is a surprise watchdog of the canine world—powerfully built, fearless and faithful, and always ready for a romp. Hape that helpedMel 16

• a small dog (if any) as a 10 year old is too young for the type of responsibility but it will be easier to walk a small dog than to have to run a larger active dog 1-2x per day, not to mention that their poops are huger too!! be sure you want to do this because no matter what you may think now, you will be its primary caretaker. good luck!

• Take your kid to an animal shelter and let HIM pick out a dog. It will be more special if HE chose it. Let him interact with the dog right then and there before you take it home. You'll see if the dog is friendly and gets along good with children.I would recommend getting a medium sized or a big dog. They are more fun for kids to play with and you won't have to worry about your kid hurting the dog by accident. Golden Retrievers and Labs generally make good family dogs. Make sure that your kid knows the do's and don'ts of dog and how to respect them. And teach your dog, doggie manners.

• A jack russell terrier! THEY DON'T SHED!THEY ARE VERY FRIENDLY AND HYPER!UMM..... THE BEST DOG TO TRAIN! THEY ARE VERY RESPONSIVE!BUT THEY HAVE A SHORT E ATTENTION SPAND THEY DONT LIKE TO BE ALONE! THEY LIVE TO 15-20 YEARS! BUT OVERALL THE BEST

• I'd advise against a puppy unless you want to have another kid in the house. Get a slightly older dog--four years old or younger, as it will be easier to train (if it isn't half trained already). Many breeds (really, just about all breeds) are friendly for a kid that age. Think more about the dog's compatibility with your house, yard, and so on--really any dog is good for a kid, as long as the dog is young enough to be active and play with him.I've got to agree with Maria--take him to the shelter and let him pick out the dog. It will be a better experience than any surprise you could plan.

• Why are you going to give your child a dog? He can't even take care of himself and do little simple things. Start with something small. A little guinea pig or a hamster would be nice. See if he is even capable of taking care of that.

• Save a dog at an animal shelter. Take the child there and let him meet the dogs. You can usually get some history of the dog, age, aggression, health, etc. Let the child spend some time with the ones he likes one on one. If you want a pure bred make sure he doesn't come from a puppy mill where so many pups are sick. Labs are great dogs, loyal, gentle, etc. Pembroke Welsh Corgies are smart, friendly, loyal and don't grow too big. (obviously they are my favorite dogs in the world. Let us know what you decide.

• Many many pets are given to shelters every year due to unwanted Christmas and birthday gifts of pets. Please make sure this is what your child wants. Also realize that you will be taking care of it a lot (I don't care what your kid promises, he's only 10). Take him to a shelter and let him choose which one he likes to be sure to avoid the situation above.