Will my 10year old siamese cat accept a puppy in our home?

Will my 10year old siamese cat accept a puppy in our home?...
    General Dog Discussions : Will my 10year old siamese cat accept a puppy in our home?...

• Will my 10year old siamese cat accept a puppy in our home?

Will my 10year old siamese cat accept a puppy in our home? General Dog Discussions

Will my 10year old siamese cat accept a puppy in our home? General Dog Discussions
    • lol that's like asking a lion to accept a mouse.. it ain't gonna happen. Siamese cats are too whicked and too territorial. Its' just how their breed is, they aren't nice animals. Especially not to other animals. You intro a puppy to the cat, she will beat it up or eat it.

• Probably, if you introduce them correctly. Make sure you trim kitty's claws before the puppy comes. Have a friend bring the puppy in a carrier, that way the cat won't know YOU brought the dog into his territory. Let the cat check out the puppy while it's still in the carrier. You will need to keep them separated but make sure you give your kitty extra attention and don't put the puppy in the cat's favorite place. Go slow, you can do it.

• The trick to get any cat - Siamese or otherwise - to accept a puppy is obedience training for the puppy! The puppy is going to be bouncy and boisterous, your cat is an adult and much more sedate. The puppy *must* be made to behave around the cat, and never ever allowed to pounce or chase him. That is a guarantee that your cat will come to hate the puppy, and will retaliate by becoming mean, withdrawn, or even mark his territory. Get your puppy enrolled in a puppy obedience class, and remember that you must be firm with a puppy (there is a huge difference between being firm and mean). Also introduce them slowly to each other. The puppy will eat your cat's food - you may need to put the cat's food on a countertop where the puppy cannot reach. And litter boxes are filled with tasty treats that puppies (and dogs) love to eat. You may need to make alternative arrangements for the litter box as well.With patience and obedience training there is no reason why you can't get your cat to accept a puppy.