How to stop my dog from behaving aggressively towards other dogs and growling?

Dog is a cairn terrier about 1 year and 6 months old and he growls and behaves aggressively sometimes towards other dogs at the park. Solutions?

Dog is a cairn terrier about 1 year and 6 months old and he growls and behaves aggressively sometimes towards other dogs at the park. Solutions?...
    General Dog Discussions : How to stop my dog from behaving aggressively towards other dogs and growling?...

• How to stop my dog from behaving aggressively towards other dogs and growling?

How to stop my dog from behaving aggressively towards other dogs and growling? General Dog Discussions
      Dog is a cairn terrier about 1 year and 6 months old and he growls and behaves aggressively sometimes towards other dogs at the park. Solutions?

How to stop my dog from behaving aggressively towards other dogs and growling? General Dog Discussions
    • get a muzzel and use it when he is stressed then take it off when he calms down. everythime he growls or acts aggressive place it on his snout and scold him and eventually it will click in that he has to behave since they hate the confinment of the muzzel.when he acts up just show it to him and ask him if he wants it and with my 2 yappy dogs it works and as soon as i scold them and bring it out they stop barking. good luck

• well, my auntie has a german shepard who is massive and when he sees other dogs he runs to a certain distance and just barks but he never approaches the dog fully and he growls, he is all talk but when he is off his lead he will be really nice to dogs, so maybe if your dog is on a lead let it off and see if it is ok with them. if it is the other way round have him on a lead and then when you are near another dog get it on a really short lead. if not go to one of them dog training places BUT as people say"YOU CANT TEACH A OLD DOG NEW TRICKS"

• If he is on the lead when he growls he does this because he is frightened.In the wild and when our dogs are loose they do not walk straight past another dog, they CURVE or sometimes they go into a play stance to see if the other dog is friendly. If your dog is restricted by the lead, he cannot follow his natural instincts. For now try to keep your distance from other dogs. When he is on lead you must either CURVE or cross to the other side of the road. If he barks or growls don't chastise him or pull on the lead, you must ignore his barking and keep silent. When he looks at dogs from a distance without barking or growling, praise him and give him a treat. Eventually your dog will realize that looking at another dog without barking, prompts you to praise him and give him a treat, he will stop barking. I suspect that your dog will play happily with another dog if he is off lead in a safe fenced area.Training classes are brilliant for socialization, unfortunately at a class he will be restricted by a lead. Wait until you help him to overcome his fears before you join a class, at present it would be akin to throwing a none swimmer into the deep end.

• Whenever you encounter such potential aggressive situation, you should divert your dog attention by turning its head away towards you so that your canine cannot make any eye contact with the other dog. This will help to immediately defuse the situation.Remember that External influences like negative actions from other dogs (violent barking, dog rivalry, physical attacks) can also influence your dog to copy these undesirable aggressive traits.Other possible reasons that can cause a dog to displays overly aggressive canine behavior may be because the pack order is not well defined. Your dog may think that he or she is the alpha, and that you are not. As a result, refashioning this pack order is crucial. You must make sure that your dog is at the bottom of the pack and that your dog realizes that you are at the alpha leader instead.Dogs descended from wolves, and deep within the psyche of your dog lies instincts they have retained from their wild ancestors. In order to live with and communicate with your dog you need to understand why you must maintain Alpha position in the "pack."This can be done through aggressive dog training. For example, you have to be a more firm with a dog that does not consider itself at the bottom of the pack. Alternatively, you may chose to exercise greater control over your dog’s whereabouts. When this occurs, and your dog realizes that you, and not him or her, are at the top of the order, you will find that your dog experience to be greatly enhanced.Furthermore, there are a few great ways that you will be able to let him know that this is not desirable behavior:First of all, make sure if you are punishing him for his behavior that you are punishing him as the behavior occurs, not after the fact. If you punish afterwards, your dog will not know why he is being punished.For instance, if you have trouble with a dog that bites, make sure you know the warning signs that occur just before the dog strikes. Then, firmly with your knee or your hand, give the dog a stern “no” and touch him on the back or side of his neck.This will give him the signal that you are not happy with the behavior and he needs to back off. This same tactic can be used with dogs who growl or bark aggressively at strangers or guests. The key to stop aggressive dog behavior is to know ahead of time what is going to set your dog off.Hope this will be helpful for you!